Is there a Podcast about SmaSh brewing anywhere?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodovico

Reaction score
I did a search but couldn't find one. I've been reading about it on the forum and was wondering if any of the Brewing Network shows have covered it and I just missed it?

Thanks.

They have discussed such beers several times, but not under the term SMaSH or as anything unique - Lots of German beers, for instance, fall under the SMaSH category because they use Pilsner Malt and one of the noble hops.

The brewing process is the same as any other beer, recipe formulation is straightforward...so I don't really know what there is to discuss other than it's a popular option to improve flavor perception between raw ingredients and the finished beer.

Any specific questions we may be able to answer for you?

They have discussed such beers several times, but not under the term SMaSH or as anything unique - Lots of German beers, for instance, fall under the SMaSH category because they use Pilsner Malt and one of the noble hops.

The brewing process is the same as any other beer, recipe formulation is straightforward...so I don't really know what there is to discuss other than it's a popular option to improve flavor perception between raw ingredients and the finished beer.

Any specific questions we may be able to answer for you?

Is it easier to pick up off flavors because you are using just a base malt and one hop variety or can someone like me (all-grained about 30 batches) probably pull off a nice tasting one?

What about an individual recipe link of really good combinations? Thanks.

I really like Vienna as a base malt for these beers, paired with any of the strong character hops. Pale or 2-Row malts paired with more subtle character malts, and Pilsner malt with noble hops and their derivatives.

But are people finding that certain SMaSH combinations don't work well together?

I guess what I'm asking is, can you virtually pick any base malt and any hop and you will end up with something pretty good as long as the brewing method is sound and you use a pretty neutral yeast??

Any link to SMaSH combinations or recipes that people really love?

I don't think you could make a SMaSH that was bad unless it was way out of balance (way too malty or way too bitter)...assuming no 'mistakes' during the brew process or sanitation issues.

SMaSH is really to help you learn how each hop variety tastes, and how each base malt plays with the foundation of the beer's malt profile. I'm sure some recipes exist out there. I did not encounter a podcast on it from Jamil Show or Brew Strong (I just recently have been downloading these to my Zune) but there could be other sites with a SMaSH cast.

for base malts you'd find a pretty big different (I think) between marris otter, and a german 2-row pils.

I bet there's some basic info on the forums in terms of IBU ranges to aim for, as you probably won't want to go high IBU lest you mask the flavors of the malt or hide hop flavors.

But are people finding that certain SMaSH combinations don't work well together?

I guess what I'm asking is, can you virtually pick any base malt and any hop and you will end up with something pretty good as long as the brewing method is sound and you use a pretty neutral yeast??

Any link to SMaSH combinations or recipes that people really love?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Simcoe-Vienna SMaSH
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (40.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 2.00 gal
Boil Size: 2.56 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG