First attempt at a Belgian IPA - Critiques?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

polkbar

Reaction score
Not necessarily trying to clone anything with the below recipe, but I'd like to come up with a dry Belgian IPA/hoppy blond. My favorites are Taras Boulba, Urthel Hop-it, and De Ranke XX Bitter. I doubt those have rye, but I thought it might add a nice complement to citrus hops.

I'll be doing a partial mash with the fermentables listed below (except the DME). Was going to mash at 149 or so to keep things dry. The hop varieties will probably stay the same because that's what I got in bulk last week from hopsdirect.

As far as yeast goes, it seems like 3711 would work well and complement the spicy/citrusy theme. I've also heard of people using 1388 and 3522 successfully for Belgian IPA's.

I'm still pretty new to the homebrew game, so all criticism is welcome. Thanks, Paul

Stats
OG 1.067
FG 1.010
IBU 56
ABV 7.4 %
SRM 5

Specifics
Boil Volume 3.5 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 85% AA

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity
15.0 % 1.50 Belgian Pils
20.0 % 2.00 Malted Rye
5.0 % 0.50 CaraPils
60.0 % 6.00 Extra Light DME

Hops
Weight (oz) Hop AA% Boil Time IBU
0.75 Magnum 13.0 60 44.4
1.00 Styrian Goldings 5.5 15 7.2
1.00 Styrian Goldings 5.5 5 4.5
2.00 Amarillo 9.0 DH 0.0

I was going to suggest swapping out some of the extract for sugar to help it dry out, but with 3711 that may not be needed.

My last 3711 brew got down to 1.004 with ~.5 lb sugar. I don't want this to be undrinkable from the relatively high hopping and very attentuative yeast. Any thoughts on whether the recipe as it is will be too dry for the hop bill? I do like dry hoppy beers, but I want this to be palatable.

Magnum is such a mellow hop that I think you'll be alright. If you were using rough American hops (chinook for example) I would suggest going with a different yeast.

Back