Making the Jump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've been doing mini mash's for just about a year now (did my first brew last October) and am getting ready to jump into the All Grain sandbox. I've been pricing the cooler kits, parts, preassembled and individually and finally found a good deal at hombrewing.org. I bought my kettle from him back in the beginning, and he had the lowest price on the kettle, as well as the preassembled All Grain cooler kit. So I am getting that, as well as a barley crusher and probably a sparge arm, but I'm going to try some batch sparging, as well to figure out what works.

So, I'm posing to ask, what else is there that I might possible need? I have the normal stuff, hydrometer, thermometer, kettle, etc. Anything I'm missing? I don't want to get to that first AG brew day, already a little frazled, and realize, "Crap, I forgot XYZ!!!", so help me out if you can.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks,

Mark

Big enough kettle. Chiller (optional but with full boils cooling is longer). Paddle. I use a diff thermometer (floating one) in my mashtun. Highly recommend a refractometer for taking readings during mash out.

As far as what you need, you will be set, however there are other items that can make things easier,shorter, and more precise. I do not have any of those yet and have been doing AG all year. I need an immersion chiller stat.

Back