Fruit Beer Succulent Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the strawberries supposed to be floating in top in a foam? Will they settle into the beer later?

The strawberries floated on top from the time I racked onto them until I removed them with a sanitized strainer a week later, before racking into a tertiary fermentor. They will be pretty nasty and pale after a week (see picture).

IMG_3630.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah I figured that out in the end lol... It all worked fine. I had to tone it down to 60 for it to sink and had to leave it at 60 due to lack of headspace for 4 days. I raised it a degree a Day until it went to the tertiary.

Just bottled this yesterday. Very pale in color with a slight pinkish hue. I used fresh strawberries chopped in half and frozen prior to being added. I did not have too much soaked up by the berries, however i did let it drain a bit once it got down to the bottom. Tasted like it had promise :)

Unforeseen events have caused my schedule to change drastically. I had this in the primary for 3 weeks (other unforeseen event). I now have it in the secondary. The problem is I only have time to either leave the beer in the tertiary for 2 days and go straight to bottling or leave it in the tertiary for over a month. What would you guys advise?

As long as you are controlling your temps, leaving it for a month wont hurt anything. Two days will probably gove you a hazy beer but also, wouldnt hurt it. Drop the temp to "cold as hell" and leave it for 2 days and i think you will be fine.

Finished product ended up being awesome... Everybody that tried it loved it, and people where tipping me $10 a bottle here at the office...

Ah yes! I recognize those zombie strawberries! Please tell me how you like the 45 min Cascade hops in your brew. They are my go-to hops variety for my IPAs and Sierra Nevada clone but it sounds like it could be really interesting.

Good luck,
-Ritalin

I was thinking of sanitizing the strawberries with some vodka before introducing it into the witbeer brewed previously. The vodka will sterilize the berries, and probably also pick up some of the essence of them as well.

There is really no reason to do this. There is alcohol in the beer by the time you add berries. I do usually freeze mine first, but thats probably not necassary either. This is a really good beer as it is. Just my $0.02.

I agree with Wild Ginger on this one. I am running this recipe as we speak and I use frozen strawberries to mitigate any chance of odd contaminants and have had nothing but awesome results with that method. I would use caution with high octane spirits like vodka because it may hinder any additional fermentation, if that is what you are seeking. For example, when I brew my dry cider, I have to use champagne yeast because I run it in the high 9% range ABV. Normal brewing yeast cannot survive in that high of an alcohol content. Just FYI. Regardless, I am curious to hear about your results. The bottom line is, as long as you are having fun, you are doing it right! Good luck, bud!
-Ritalin

Back