Dumbest Commercial - Dell "Lollipop" Commercial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eljefe

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously, what the hell is this about? I have absolutely no desire to buy a laptop from a bunch of guys in overalls singing 50's hits. What happened to "sex sells"? Give me a bunch of bikini clad women singing Berlin's "Sex" and I am out the door, on my way to Best Buy to blow my wad (pun intended) on a new laptop.

YES! I hate that f-ing commercial. And it comes on all the damn time. Every time I hear the little beeps at the very beginning, I have to turn off the tv.

You know what's always bothered me about that commercial?

Shortly after the first guy comes on screen, the second guy comes up from right below him, putting his clothes back on. What the hell was happening before they started singing?

You know what's always bothered me about that commercial?

Shortly after the first guy comes on screen, the second guy comes up from right below him, putting his clothes back on. What the hell was happening before they started singing?

I would assume they were licking each other's lollipops.

Sorry, I couldn't let it go!

Palm Pre.

First of all they are ripping off (poorly so) Laurie Anderson's multi-media performance art schtick right down to the cadence and phrasing.

Second AAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHHHHHHHHH! This vvvv

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr4oNfF4_Fo]YouTube - Palm Pre CM (Traumatizing Edition)[/ame]

You think the commercial was annoying, you should call up and try to order a laptop, or heaven forbid get tech support...

I think that the commercial is a success because you can't forget it and hear you are talking about it. The colored computers are not made for middle aged men. So, the commercial is not made for middle aged men.

Just like when I am in the car and some rap music comes on the radio. My mother complains that she doesn't like it. I have to remind her that she is not supposed to like it. It wasn't made for 68 year old white people. "Mom, you are not their target audience"

Forrest

I think that the commercial is a success because you can't forget it and hear you are talking about it. The colored computers are not made for middle aged men. So, the commercial is not made for middle aged men.

Just like when I am in the car and some rap music comes on the radio. My mother complains that she doesn't like it. I have to remind her that she is not supposed to like it. It wasn't made for 68 year old white people. "Mom, you are not their target audience"

Forrest

Yeah, thats the trick to advertising, getting people to further the product name. I was surprised to hear that the GEICO caveman commercials increased new customers by something like 40% for the company. And I've heard far fewer people say they like them rather than can't stand them. The thing is though, they are so catchy and different that people were talking about them everywhere!

Gee, thanks, I had forgotten about those ones! :mad:

God, I can't stand that. Nobody in my house does. My kids say that lady creeps them out, and my wife will change channel for a minute just to stop looking at her.

I don't mind the Loolipop song, but that commercial itself is like, WTF? Then the song is different, so you can't sing along. It's annoying. :mad:

Seriously, what the hell is this about? I have absolutely no desire to buy a laptop from a bunch of guys in overalls singing 50's hits. What happened to "sex sells"? Give me a bunch of bikini clad women singing Berlin's "Sex" and I am out the door, on my way to Best Buy to blow my wad (pun intended) on a new laptop.

Here's what maddox has to say about that.

People who point out their puns are like comedians who explain their jokes: they both think you're too stupid to get it. The only good thing about the phrase "pun intended" is that it saves you time when you want to say "hello, I'm going to be at the bag convention this weekend, please be sure to stop by and say 'hi.' I'll be at the ****** exhibit." Here's the deal: when you point out your puns, you're making a value judgement on me, the reader. You're saying:

Hey reader, you see that play on words I just made? Yeah, well that wasn't an accident. In fact, I thought it was so clever that I didn't think your simple mind would be able to comprehend the brilliance of my play on words, and I wanted to make sure you know that I'm not only smart enough to use homonyms, but that I'm smart enough to point them out.

The sheer level of narcissism it takes to think that anyone gives a **** about whether or not you meant to write your pun is mind boggling. If narcissism were measured in units of mass, the skulls of people who pointed out puns would crush in on themselves in a giant black hole of stupidity.

I'm thread Hijacking this again..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKSD30jl_h0]YouTube - Creepy Palm Pre Commercial[/ame]

My dreams are haunted by this clearly overmedicated ginger/albino woman, who pops up out of nowhere to harass me with her random, Facebook-update thoughts. She appears to live in an animated Windows desktop, uses a tone that's far more familiar than I like, and the entire thing has a sinister element to it. You know, like maybe the twist is that she's dead. Or that I'm dead. Or that sometime in the near future, she'll crawl out of my desktop and kill me in my sleep.

The Daily Dish | By Andrew Sullivan

Back