Efficiency question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OhioMurb

Reaction score
Still working on this AG thing and I'm looking at my efficiency.

For 3 batches, according to Beersmith, my "efficiency into boiler" has consistently been in the mid-70's. But my "brewhouse efficiency" which is calculated with post-boil numbers, is in the mid-60's.

So, does this tell me that my mash setup is relatively efficient, but somehow my boil process is not?

My pre-boil gravity is usually spot on to the estimate, but my OG is usually lower than the estimated OG. Could it be that my boil is not vigorous enough to evaporate off enough water and raise the gravity?

It sounds like you are either leaving some wort in the BK or not measuring your volume into the fermenter correctly.

I was having the same problem until I got meticulous with post boil volume measurements

Brew house should be less than your mash/lauter eff. It takes into consideration losses due to hops, trub and dead space. If you transfer EVERYTHING that is in your kettle to your fermentor, then you would have almost identical mash/lauter eff. and brewhouse eff.

I mean, on a 5 gallon batch of beer if you leave .5 gallons in the boil kettle from hops, trub and dead space... well, then you have reduced your brew house efficiency by 10%. So if your eff. to the kettle was 70%, your brew house eff. just became 60%.

That makes sense - I'm finding more and more with AG that my process is better than my ability to measure my process! :)

Back