Printing Labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I used my ink jet printer to do labels. Some of the bottles were moved from cold to warm and back to cold. In between they began to sweat and blur the labels. Any ideas on a different ink, or do I just make sure they don't warm after being chilled?

I used my ink jet printer to do labels. Some of the bottles were moved from cold to warm and back to cold. In between they began to sweat and blur the labels. Any ideas on a different ink, or do I just make sure they don't warm after being chilled?

I think its more the label then the ink. the labels I made from onlinelabels.com bled like crazy. turns out I didn't order the waterproof ones. my buddy uses the waterproof ones (printed on his inkjet) and they hold out like champs

I got lucky and got an old model laser printer free from work,its way better than a ink jet printer as mine is a joke for buying new color cartriges after only using a certain color a few times. Go get copies on a laser printer. I think there is a waterproofing solution,but i bet cleaning them would be a pain.

I think its more the label then the ink. the labels I made from onlinelabels.com bled like crazy. turns out I didn't order the waterproof ones. my buddy uses the waterproof ones (printed on his inkjet) and they hold out like champs

Sounds like an idea, but how about getting the labels off. The Avery Name Badge labels I'm now using come off pretty easy in OxyClean.

The ink jet sticker project paper,just peels right off.No soaking. Avery 3383

I got lucky and got an old model laser printer free from work,its way better than a ink jet printer as mine is a joke for buying new color cartriges after only using a certain color a few times. Go get copies on a laser printer. I think there is a waterproofing solution,but i bet cleaning them would be a pain.

Tks, I've got a printer w/different cartridges for each color, 6 I think so it's not to bad replacing them.

I make too much beer to put labels on all the bottles. For special brews or friends I'll make labels, but not very many.

NRS

yet to make lables but i nkow for essays for scholl (don't put me off as an inexperanceed brewer beuase imin schhol) iv'e used inkjet and hety smear. I'd use a laser peareinger.

Labeling my beers is part of the fun! I print a full sheet of labels on my printer at home and take that to Staples for color laser copies. Stick them on with GluStic - they come off easily with a little warm water.

yet to make lables but i nkow for essays for scholl (don't put me off as an inexperanceed brewer beuase imin schhol) iv'e used inkjet and hety smear. I'd use a laser peareinger.

Your teachers must either be really hard workers or extremely patient people.

Your teachers must either be really hard workers or extremely patient people.

:p

I agree with the kinkos color laserjet idea. Luckily we have a color copier here at work so I just run some off when I need them. Yes, I cleared it with the powers that be. LOL. Printed off my first set of labels on AVERY 8164 the other day and it works fantastic.

Most inkjet inks are water based - while they do dry reasonably well on some substrates, others will bleed profusely when damp.

A clear coat of Krylon on your printed materials will seal the inkjet ink pretty well, no matter the substrate (other than plain paper).

of course, if you have access to laser, that is fused plastic dust, so go for it!

Most inkjet inks are water based - while they do dry reasonably well on some substrates, others will bleed profusely when damp.

A clear coat of Krylon on your printed materials will seal the inkjet ink pretty well, no matter the substrate (other than plain paper).

of course, if you have access to laser, that is fused plastic dust, so go for it!

Tks, I like the Krylon idea. Will get some today.

It's not just Krylon clear,it's made for spraying on labels. Someone else on here mentioned the name once. Seal it or something to that effect. I need a can myself,along with some lacquered (non photographic) paper. That paper is said to look/work better as well.

It's not just Krylon clear,it's made for spraying on labels. Someone else on here mentioned the name once. Seal it or something to that effect. I need a can myself,along with some lacquered (non photographic) paper. That paper is said to look/work better as well.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I just bought a can of Krylon clear. :tank:

Back