Yeast problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxPower49

Reaction score
Tomorrow is supposed to be my first brew day, but I may have a problem. I got my ingredient kit as a Christmas gift. It came with a package of liquid yeast from wyeastlab. I just read the back of the package and it said to break the inner package and wait 3 hours for it to swell before using... the problem is, the bag was already swollen when I got it a few days ago. I can't feel any "inner package" so I guess it was already broken... who knows when it happened... maybe during shipping?

Is this a problem? Will it have any bad impact on my beer? I have kept the swollen package in the refrigerator since I got it. I think it is slightly less swollen now than when I first opened it if that means anything.

I found this on the wyeastlab website... it makes me feel a little better, but not much.
Wyeast Laboratories. Customer Service FAQs

Do I need to postpone brew day and get more yeast?

Thanks.

If your kit includes any dried malt extract, you could "proof" the yeast overnight
and look for activity in the morning.
Boil a quarter cup of DME with a pint of water in a clean jar.
Cool to 80F or so.
Add yeast and cover loosely with tinfoil.
Keep in a warm (70 - 75F) place.
If the yeast is viable, you should see a layer of foam (kreusen) in the morning.

I'd suggest researching yeast starters a little bit.
Liquid yeasts perform better if you get them going a few days in advance.

LME has the right kinds of sugar, but it is harder to measure.
It is the consistency of molasses.
And there's no way to seal up the can again.

Your grocery store might have Goya Malta in the ethnic aisle.
It's an unfermented malt beverage.
Dilute it to 1.040 with water and stir out the fizz.

Liquid yeasts are a bit of a hassle.
Dry yeast is more reliable, less expensive, and can be stored in the fridge for a year.

Hmm.. I didn't see any Goya Malta at the store. :confused:

Maybe I would be better off trying to track down some dry yeast? How would I pick one that would be similar to the one I had in this kit... going for a Newcastle similar beer.

Or maybe I'll just try this one anyways and hope it works.

Back