No head, thin mouth feel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
I made the Irish red from Midwest as my first brew. I have let it rest, condition in the bottle, and drunk about all but 5 of the brews.

No myself, and everyone that I have shared it with all same the same thing.

Great flavor, nice "roasty" taste, no head, very thin in the mouth.

What can you add to improve this.

Tim

We asked the guy at our beer store what we could do to get a nice head out of our IPA and he suggested adding some wheat. I am not sure what kind or how much.

I have a friend who insists that cleaning the beer glasses with dish detergent ruins the head. He and his brother use to grade pubs in England on the quality of the Guiness poors, and the glass was one way to get knocked down. This was an actual job of his brother paid by guiness, my friend was along to drink the beer since his brother had to drive.

Probably under carbonation, and what types of grain did you use? Grains have certain characteristics such as nutty, roasty, etc., and some give you different amounts of HEAD. I'm a noob but that is what I have read in my hours (well days) onthis site

sounds like under carbonated to me too. How long did it take to drink the batch? If it was a matter of weeks, then I'm wondering if you noticed that they were getting progressively more carbonated as you drank them...?

Still...you say you noticed a 'pop' when you opened them, which suggests that the carbonation was there. Maybe the specialty grains (as others have mentioned) would help with the mouthfeel, etc.

Back