Agh! Wasps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewing Clamper

Reaction score
I just found out there's a freaking yellow jacket nest in my chimney! There were 4 inside my living room and I found them because one stung me! I'm smoking them out right now, which also sucks because it's like 80F and I'm the only loony on the block with a fire on!

smoking them out won't necessarily kill them or get rid of them. Bee keepers use smoke to pacify bees and keep them from leaving the hive. You need to really get the temperature up and cook those mothers... some of them might still be hiding out in the hives waiting for the smoke to clear out. Get a real raging fire going and melt the wax holding the hive together.

What you need is a good old chimney fire. Load the stove up with green wood and burn it real slow so the creasote lines the flue real good. Then start a real good hot fire and ignite that creasote and torch the beasties.

JK. Please don't intentionally set a chimney fire. I've been through two they can be real scarey.

Next time, look in the Yellow Pages. There are guys who come collect wasps/hornets that live inside homes for no fee. They sell them to make anti-venom.

Better redneck idea:

1. Light a really hot fire
2. Throw a can of wasp spray in the fire
3. RUN!
4. Repeat until wasps are gone or cops show up

Disclaimer: This is only a joke, I repeat this is only a joke :D

Better redneck idea:

1. Light a really hot fire
2. Throw a can of wasp spray in the fire
3. RUN!
4. Repeat until wasps are gone or cops show up

Disclaimer: This is only a joke, I repeat this is only a joke :D

Actually there was a You-Tube clip where the guy did this with like gasoline or something on the nest in his kids swing set. I think it like flamed out all over. :cross:

I had a wasp nest in between the two windows in the basement where my brew stuff is this summer. They were building the nest amid the insulation stiffed between the windows. I tried to encourage them to leave by using a heat gun on the inside pane of glass. Did not work. Then I smashed the outside pane and ran like hell. They still stuck around. Then mysteriously I went away for a week and they were gone. Something/someone had smashed the window more and pulled out the insulation??? Gone now still don't know how but glad.

Here is a tip if they are coming in your house. My parents had a HUGE infestation in their walls. They mistakenly plugged the hole they were getting in through outside the house thus driving the wasps into the living room as the only escape!! Anyway, hundreds of them were swarming inside. They had to call an exterminator. Here comes the tip... To pacify the wasps so he could kill them without spraying nasty stuff all over their living room he sprayed them with WINDEX. It works really well. Does not kill them per se but knocks them out.

Good luck and don't get stung!

Well, so far so good. It looks like the nest was near the top of the chimney, under the rain guard. I lit a fire so hot, my living room was, well, unlivable. Anyway, the smoke and heat drove a ton of wasps out from the top and none dared come through the fireplace. Since then I've not seen a single one inside the house. When day breaks I'll check the chimney and see if they try to comeback.

I had a wasp nest in between the two windows in the basement where my brew stuff is this summer. They were building the nest amid the insulation stiffed between the windows. I tried to encourage them to leave by using a heat gun on the inside pane of glass. Did not work. Then I smashed the outside pane and ran like hell. They still stuck around. Then mysteriously I went away for a week and they were gone. Something/someone had smashed the window more and pulled out the insulation??? Gone now still don't know how but glad.

Here is a tip if they are coming in your house. My parents had a HUGE infestation in their walls. They mistakenly plugged the hole they were getting in through outside the house thus driving the wasps into the living room as the only escape!! Anyway, hundreds of them were swarming inside. They had to call an exterminator. Here comes the tip... To pacify the wasps so he could kill them without spraying nasty stuff all over their living room he sprayed them with WINDEX. It works really well. Does not kill them per se but knocks them out.

Good luck and don't get stung!

I used to use this trick to make guard wasps and guard bees as a child. If you spray them with an alcohol based window washer fluid, like car windshield washer fluid you can knock them out of the air and knock them out. Then you then scoop them up quickly in a tupperware container and put them in the freezer for about 10 minutes. While they are freezing you need to get your supplies ready, you will need some tweezers and some thread, if you have the gear to tie flys for fly fishing all the better.

You will need to be very quick for the next part, the spray has stunned him and the time in the freezer has frozen his extremeties so he is essentially paralized. Before he thaws and comes out of it you need to very quickly tie a string around him between his thorax and abdomen and then tie that string to whatever needs guarding. Essentially you now have a bee or wasp on a leash, he will still be able to take off and fly, but won't be able to get anywhere because he is tied down. Oh and tying him down will make him very very pissed off, excellent for guarding whatever it is that you need guarded.

We used to have a huge Pear tree by our house and one year we had Yellow Jackets terrible. One day I went around with the vacuum cleaner and counted s I sucked up the dead and live ones around our windows etc. 250 + that time.

I woke up to the feeling that something was crawling on my wrist (I happen to have been having a nightmare about yellow jackets) and when I shook my arm, the bastard stung me!

Remodeling the house helped, but I never got rid of them until the tree came down (due to finally rotting out on the inside). They love to nest near fruit trees and other food sources.

they'll retreat back to their hive at night when it cools down and remain very much dormant until the sun comes up and heats up the air... try to smoke them out at night, or knock the hive off your chimney guard at night when there's a high chance they'll be dormant b/c of the cooler night air...

that or call an exterminator.

chimney fires suck, although if your local fire department is as well equip as our battalion, they'll have some kick ass chimney fire tools to put it out. we had 6 chimney fires in our first due last fall/early winter...

Back