HBT at NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a picture of a few of us. We met pseudochef today, but he's not in the picture.
DSCF01611.JPG

Left to Right: Edwort, OllllllO, Clayof2day, ChrisK, YooperBrew, Richbrewer.

We're meeting up with some others, so keep tuned!

ok, so take this:

DSCF01701.JPG

Some of us aren't visible (me, Mrs. OllllO), but here we are having drinks and dinner at BJs brewpub tonight.

Edit- the guy on the end, smiling, is someone we don't know. He was a judge for the contest, and ended up with us. His name is Paul and he's a professional brewer in Toronto.

I hate you all!!!!!!!!

Not really I'm just jealous as all get out, if it were two weeks from now I'd be there with you...

*sigh*

Have one for me, gang! :mug:

Yooper...I've said it before...you're such a babe!!!

Hey, I've met everyone in that first picture but you Yooper.

Have fun, wish I could be there. :mug:

Sorry I couldn't meet up with everyone tonight. I got up there pretty late and by the time I was able to check the keg I brought for my local club for Club Night, it was getting past 9:30 and both SWMBO and I have 10 hour days at work tomorrow. I am very happy to be employed again, but the new job is kicking my ass right now and I don't get any vacation yet (if I did, I'd be there 24/7).

Looks like I will be able to make all the social package events, as I most likely will have to work Saturday and Sunday, but not in the evenings (sorry Ed - no spare banquet ticket). Hope to see you all at Club Night.
:mug:

We had a GREAT time tonight!!!!! Lots of beer was consumed, and we laughed so hard. There are a few funny stories that I just can't share with you all. But trust me, we all laughed all night. I don't think there is a single picture of me with my mouth closed. When I wasn't talking, I was laughing. What a great time!

DSCF0198.JPG

Left to right: RichBrewer, Clay of 2 day, Yooper, pseudochef, chrisK, mrs OlllllO, and OlllllO

And a portrait of 4 drunk moderators: (with ChrisK the wannabe)

DSCF0200.JPG

OK, here's another picture from last night. That's Charlie Papazian and me, and on the right is Charlie's wife, Sandra. There is a funny story behind Charlie's pose for my camera.

DSCF0185.JPG

OK, here's another picture from last night. That's Charlie Papazian and me, and on the right is Charlie's wife, Sandra. There is a funny story behind Charlie's pose for my camera.

DSCF0185.JPG

Awesome picture! There's one to frame and hang on the wall. Glad to see you're all having fun. :mug:

You got to hang with Charlie!!!??!? Holy Bock that is freaking awesome! Damn I hope I get to meet him at club night tonight. I'm still in NY, but flying back home this afternoon. Can't wait to meet up with you guys.

Haha- no, it's bourbon. Richbrewer and I went on the Bourbon Trail Distillery Tour on Wednesday, and those are small "special" bottles from the bottling line. They didn't have them for sale, or we all would have bought them, I think! That was taken at Buffalo Trace distillery. We had some nice bourban tastings then went to Woodford Reserve for a great tour and lunch, and then to a brewery after.

You got to hang with Charlie!!!??!? Holy Bock that is freaking awesome! Damn I hope I get to meet him at club night tonight. I'm still in NY, but flying back home this afternoon. Can't wait to meet up with you guys.

We're looking forward to it, too! We are having a wonderful time! I've met some other "quiet" HBT'ers who said hello and we've had a chance to visit. One really nice guy said he's been a lurker here for a long time, and reads many of the threads, even though I didn't know who he was. He said he's got some special beers for us to try for club night!

I"ve met homebrewers from Hawaii, and from Maryland, etc. Every single person I've met has been wonderful. Homebrewers are so laid back and friendly that this is one of the most fun conferences ever!

Man, I am bummed that SWMBO & I could not make it. Looks like you are all having a great time. To keep ourselves there "in spirit", we went to a big bottle store in Chicago last night and met Jim Koch. If you guys get a chance to talk to him while you're there, he's a great guy.

Keep the postings coming so we can live vicariously!:(:)

Just to show you the crowd for the technical sessions..

NHC1.jpg

NHC2.jpg

And now for some beers I can't find at home in Austin. So far, so good.

NHCBeers.jpg

If it's in SFO next year, I'm there. Totally there. 100% there. Sounds like a fantastic graduation present from me to myself.

Glad to see you guys are having a good time. Prost!

I asked Yooper to take my picture with Charlie. I had been talking to him for a few minutes and when I turned around, Lorena and Sandy were laughing their asses off. I asked her what was going on and apparently when Yooper took the photo, she became captivated with Charlie's body. It appeared to Sandy that Yooper was looking at Charlie's crotch! Yooper noticed that Sandy was looking at her strangely and realized what she was doing. Well, the story goes that Charlie had an interesting belt buckle on and it caught Yooper's attention. She explained this to Sandy and that's when I noticed them laughing. The photo was taken as they teased Charlie about Yooper staring at his crotch. We all laughed so hard!
A classic HBT moment!

You're going out to San francisco next year?
I'm going to make a huge effort to be there!

I was going to go to Denver last year, but I had made plans over a year prior to go to an event in Alaska during the SAME week. So, I thought I'd go to Cinci this year. TERRIBLE timing again!!! So, here's to hoping for next year!

:mug:

I was waiting to hear where it was going to be next year. I figured out here somewhere. I'm so in! :rockin: A six hour drive away. Do we need to set up a HBT 2009 NHC thread already? I'll bring beer, even my small kegerator if possible. I've even got some family in Oakland, so I might be able to bring the family have them not be bored out of their minds...

I can't wait. :ban::ban::ban:

A couple of new photos were added to the photobucket account, from Jim Koch's address, last night's dinner and club night, and lunch today. We got to visit with OllllllO until approx 4 AM when some of us weenies went to bed. The first seminar didn't start until 9, though, so that left plenty of time to sleep. (the seminars have been first rate, too- it's really been a wonderful conference)

Some of my favorite photos:
Jim Koch answering questions:
DSCF0248.jpg

Ray Daniels trying my IPA:
DSCF0272.jpg

Bearcat Brewmeister explaining where to get good beer:
DSCF0273.jpg

Yet more photos:

DSCF0275.jpg

Left to right: Richbrewer, Mrs. Ohiobrewtus, Bearcat Brewmeister, Ohiobrewtus, mrFebtober, Brewwench, Edwort, OlllllO and Mrs. Olllllllo

DSCF0281.jpg

Lunch today at the Hofbrauhaus

DSCF0270.jpg

Ohiobrewtus saying "hello" to Biermuncher

So far, EVERYone I've met has been awesome. All the HBTers have especially been great. And, I've had some fantastic beer. Apparently we had over 600 kegs last night at club night, with 1000 people. That's right, 3/4 of a keg per person. Not to mention all the bottles that opened up. We had some crabapple wine, apfelwein, moonshine (don't ask!), and we opened up some beerswap beers. One from Brewtopia (thanks!) and Evan!'s Meph. stout to just name two.

I know that everybody always says things like, "Great people, blah blah". But in this case it is so true!

I really liked everyone that I met. And I met alot of people. On Pro Brewer's night, I tried to meet everybody in the room. I think I did pretty well at that, but didn't get to meet quite all of them. (There were about 300 people, I would guess). Every single person that I met was great. I met a few "lurking" hbt'ers who I didn't know from their ID but got to know them a bit in person and that was great.

One other thing strikes me- there were mostly men at the conference and quite a few beers. I never heard any arguments or saw any conflicts. Now, crowds and large quantities of alcohol don't sound like a good mix. But in this case, I saw the biggest RDWHAHB attitude in the world.

Some very short observations:
The SWMBOs were wonderful. Now, so were the guys. But I really think that homebrewers (myself included) marry UP. We have to have the most understanding and best looking spouses in the world.

Overall, HBTers are FUNNY! I laughed so hard all weekend that my jaw hurts!

Ohiobrewtus is even louder than I am.

OllllllO's wife is a saint.

ChrisK is very funny.

Pseudochef looks like he's 12 years old.

Richbrewer is genuinely a nice guy.

I still don't like sour beers, wheat beers, or fruit beers.

Back