adding fresh juice to already fermented juice...question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirPublius

Reaction score
I've had some pear cider fermenting for a few weeks and there was so much sediment that when I racked it there was too much headspace in my secondary container once it was racked. So I pressed a few more pears and added a few cups of fresh juice to the already fermenting juice after I racked it. I think it was bubbling at a rate of once every maybe 20 seconds before racking. After I added the fresh juice its bubbling like every 5 seconds through the airlock. Any suggestions or observations about adding fresh juice like that? Just let it go again, or is something I should do that I'm not thinking of? Thanks.

I don't think there's any downside to adding fresh juice, just know that every time you do, a new round of fermentation will kick off, as it has this time.

I once added fresh apple juice to a 2 or 3 week old batch, and did get new fermentation as well. At the time I did not have a hydrometer, so I couldn't say if the ABV% increased or not. I would think it did.

Back