What did I cook this weekend.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And just like that, my body fought back and won - blistering is gone, and my finger isn't on fire anymore :)

Plant-based chicken, some stuffed pasta thing, and kale from the garden
PXL_20230826_230150456.jpg

Hubby took me to a clam bake yesterday, but in the morning I made English muffins and used them for egg sandwiches for breakfast.View attachment 828610
those look outstanding! got a favorite recipe and/or link for the muffins? I'm really wanting to make my own given the limits on what's available in the local grocer mart

those look outstanding! got a favorite recipe and/or link for the muffins? I'm really wanting to make my own given the limits on what's available in the local grocer mart
Thank you. This batch even had really good “nooks and crannies”. I often make them with sourdough but this batch was a last minute decision so conventional yeast. And, the only things I measured was potato water which I was saving for baking, yeast and salt. But I base it off a recipe I’ve used. Once I find it I’ll post a link. Some are with milk and if you like Thomas go with water.
F3E66B64-C9F1-4DA6-A61F-4C25F0FA587F.jpeg

Some tearing happened with fork splitting.

@Rodent this is really close to how I made this batch with a few exceptions. I don’t add butter, though it sounds good, and I used potato water (just the water discarded from boiling potatoes yes salt was added, but we can adjust the other salt if needed) Homemade English Muffins Recipe - Tasting Table Honey instead of sugar, not that it matters much it’s just what was close when I mixed the dough.
I have formed the muffins by hand, but I recommend spreading the dough out by hand and using a cutter. (A tuna can with holes punched in the bottom so that the dough isn’t compressed and degassed Is the perfect size.) Let them puff before cooking.

With sourdough Sourdough English Muffins Recipe
Do whatever works for you, and please show us your results.

@Rodent this is really close to how I made this batch with a few exceptions. I don’t add butter, though it sounds good, and I used potato water (just the water discarded from boiling potatoes yes salt was added, but we can adjust the other salt if needed) Homemade English Muffins Recipe - Tasting Table Honey instead of sugar, not that it matters much it’s just what was close when I mixed the dough.
I have formed the muffins by hand, but I recommend spreading the dough out by hand and using a cutter. (A tuna can with holes punched in the bottom so that the dough isn’t compressed and degassed Is the perfect size.) Let them puff before cooking.

With sourdough Sourdough English Muffins Recipe
Do whatever works for you, and please show us your results.
THANK YOU!!! I have some vacation time coming up, and now have a new cooking project to add to the list 🥰

Looks delicious. Is that a mango salsa/chutney?
We are getting into dungeness season here and my mouth is starting to water.
Thanks it was tasty and satisfying. What looks like mango chutney is the mirepoix with yellow carrots. Mango salsa is great with seafood though.

Oh boy, Merry, that's a work of art. Bet it was every bit as good-tasting as it is beautiful!
Awe thanks, it was very tasty, however my timing could have been just a little bit better. by the time all the seafood was done the potatoes were overdone and falling apart. I can live with that, it’s better than having over or undercooked seafood!

Chuck short ribs... grilled. I was a little skeptical, but they came out great.
Looks perfectly cooked. there are a few cuts that are great besides the common strip, ribeye, etc. (the butchers cut). had a chuck steak the other night, they called them chuck tenders which i assume are a small pc of the chuck roast that gets trimmed off. fabulous they are lean so do take longer to cook, but smoked on the pellet oven then pan seared in butter. better than top sirloin or strip and more flavor than tenderloin just not as tender. then there are some cuts of pork that get overlooked.

since the high end cuts are well into the 20$ lb range for beef i go towards the other end.

Pastrami ribs. Pretty awesome. I just used the exact same procedure I use to make pastrami. Cure meat (pork babybacks) in a solution of salts (incl pink salt) and mulling spices, soak in water for a day or two to remove some of the salt, rub with pepper and coriander, smoke as usual. Pretty incredible and unexpected, for sure. It's pastrami off the bone. Try it :)

1695349250364.png

@passedpawn thanks for the inspiration - I definitely gotta try this!
  • If you don't have experience making your own corned beef, look up a recipe. It's pretty easy, but you need to find pink salt for curing (not Himalayan btw).
  • When making corned beef, it can take 7-10 days for the cure to work its way into the meat. With ribs, just 3 days. Do your best to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs to allow the cure to get in.
  • Don't skip the water soak! It'll be too salty, otherwise

• If you don't have experience making your own corned beef, look up a recipe. It's pretty easy, but you need to find pink salt for curing (not Himalayan btw).
  • When making corned beef, it can take 7-10 days for the cure to work its way into the meat. With ribs, just 3 days. Do your best to remove the membrane from the back of the ribs to allow the cure to get in.
  • Don't skip the water soak! It'll be too salty, otherwise
thank you for the tips!

and YES - always get that membrane offadem ribs!!

took my first stab at extending my canning beyond jams and syrups, and made a batch of spicy dilly beans.

1695484625887.png

Packed the jars on edge as tight as I could force a bunch in and had lengths adjusted to within a 1/2" of the rim, but the cold pack beans shrunk up quite a bit during the hot water bath processing. Maybe this is normal and/or the beans will expand a bit in the coming days. We'll see soon enough

Mustard seed, black peppercorns, fresh garlic, sweet onions, and a couple fresh Thai chilis (split lengthwise) accompany the beans and brine in each jar.

Pastrami ribs. Pretty awesome. I just used the exact same procedure I use to make pastrami. Cure meat (pork babybacks) in a solution of salts (incl pink salt) and mulling spices, soak in water for a day or two to remove some of the salt, rub with pepper and coriander, smoke as usual. Pretty incredible and unexpected, for sure. It's pastrami off the bone. Try it :)

View attachment 829788
Certainly looks interesting. I just put a brisket flat into a brine for pastrami yesterday. I'll keep the ribs in mind but I think next I'm going to try salmon.

I just picked up this Blackstone griddle. I've done a few cooks on it... mostly smash burgers. This is a maple sausage gnocchi skillet dish that I did the other evening. There's a meat market kinda near us and a buddy of mine goes there regularly. They specialize in sausage and they are amazing.
griddle food.jpg
maple sausage dish.jpg

Back