I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, somebody signed me up for the eMAW thread. I'm pretty sure it was mcbaumannerb, and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple others from this thread had something to do with it. I received a surprise box of great beers from a member named ruger988. It was like Santa came in July. I'm really feeling overwhelmed at his generosity as well as the generosity of the other people involved in that thread as well as the entire HBT community. This place is populated with some of the most genuinely kind people I've ever met. A big thanks to Mark McB as well as ruger988 (Brian) and anyone else that might have been involved with this little surprise. Cheers friends! I'm at a loss for further words...

So, somebody signed me up for the eMAW thread. I'm pretty sure it was mcbaumannerb, and I wouldn't be surprised if a couple others from this thread had something to do with it. I received a surprise box of great beers from a member named ruger988. It was like Santa came in July. I'm really feeling overwhelmed at his generosity as well as the generosity of the other people involved in that thread as well as the entire HBT community. This place is populated with some of the most genuinely kind people I've ever met. A big thanks to Mark McB as well as ruger988 (Brian) and anyone else that might have been involved with this little surprise. Cheers friends! I'm at a loss for further words...

Mike , that is a great story. I figure HBT is a pretty wonderful place and I'm not surprised good karma has come your way. You deserve that! Cheers to you brother Stauffbier!

I car camped in a site that had electricity and brought my induction stove. Made a small (one gallon batch). I've thought about doing a 5 gallon no chill while camping but have never done it.

Haven't posted in here in awhile, just caught up on the thread... This post made me think of a story a read a few years ago.

Took me awhile to find it.

These guys are serious about brewing and camping.

http://morebeer.com/articles/recordbrew

For those too lazy to click the link, brewing beer on top of Mt. Whitney.

I've climbed a few 14'ers here in CO. I don't want to carry an extra ounce of weight, couldn't image carrying stuff to brew beer at 14,000+ feet.

Mike , that is a great story. I figure HBT is a pretty wonderful place and I'm not surprised good karma has come your way. You deserve that! Cheers to you brother Stauffbier!

Thanks Dan! I really appreciate that, but I have to admit... I feel unworthy of such generosity. I'm just an old construction worker who's a little down on his luck. I'm sure there are others on this forum going through a lot worse than I am. I don't want to give the impression that I'm not grateful, because I am. I'm extremely grateful. It was such an awesome gesture from Mark and Brian. It's just a little overwhelming I guess. The package really lifted my spirits, and it made me realize that life could be a hell of a lot worse than it actually is.

I sure do appreciate the kind people here on HBT.

Thanks again Mark and Brian! Those beers will taste better than any beer I've ever had, because they will be flavored with human kindness!

Haven't posted in here in awhile, just caught up on the thread... This post made me think of a story a read a few years ago.

I've climbed a few 14'ers here in CO. I don't want to carry an extra ounce of weight, couldn't image carrying stuff to brew beer at 14,000+ feet.

I don't even like carrying a carboy up from the basement.

Thanks Dan! I really appreciate that, but I have to admit... I feel unworthy of such generosity. I'm just an old construction worker who's a little down on his luck. I'm sure there are others on this forum going through a lot worse than I am. I don't want to give the impression that I'm not grateful, because I am. I'm extremely grateful. It was such an awesome gesture from Mark and Brian. It's just a little overwhelming I guess. The package really lifted my spirits, and it made me realize that life could be a hell of a lot worse than it actually is.

I sure do appreciate the kind people here on HBT.

Thanks again Mark and Brian! Those beers will taste better than any beer I've ever had, because they will be flavored with human kindness!

Kindness breeds kindness. I have a strong feeling you deserved what you got. I hope work is going well. We are having a pretty busy summer so far. I just got a nice check for a down payment on a decent commercial job. Nobody wants to work for the guy because they don't get paid. That will not happen to me again. If the check clears, we'll be plenty busy.

I decided to rack last fall's apple wine onto a bit of tannin tonight. Not sure why I chose tonight but that's what I'm doing.

Ischiavo. Happy to hear life is well for you.

You do know You, Stauffbier, LRB , and PP, I consider family, like brothers. I don't know if you guys consider me the same. Doesn't matter. I do though.

I check this thread often several times a day just to see what my HBT family is up to. We all need to meet up in Hawaii someday.

Well, there is 20 gallons of apple wine racked. Half belongs to my buddy but that still leaves us with 50 bottles. Actually, I don't drink much wine. I make it for my wife and she lubricates her clients with it. It seems to work.

I'm going to click and read the link. One of our members just summitted Whitney (2nd attempt) this year. It looks like fun but Jesus that's a lot of climbing.

Sitting by the campfire alone. The boys got ahold of my bucksaw and carved out a cool fort in the backyard. I'm just burning up all the sticks. We have barely been home this summer with work and especially the wife's new location.

Tomorrow we are going to tend our neglected garden, finish cleaning up the yard and then go fishing till dark.

Finally found a chance to use the new canner. Canning wort for starters now.

1405750239173.jpg

I check this thread often several times a day just to see what my HBT family is up to. We all need to meet up in Hawaii someday.

That would be awesome. I tend to lurk around and see what's up too, even though I don't participate in the conversation all the time. Been digging on a new lady here lately. You never know...I might even settle down one of these days. I look about 10 years younger than I really am....so the world is still my oyster. Been kind of itching to send down roots though and have a couple younguns. :mug:

That would be awesome. I tend to lurk around and see what's up too, even though I don't participate in the conversation all the time. Been digging on a new lady here lately. You never know...I might even settle down one of these days. I look about 10 years younger than I really am....so the world is still my oyster. Been kind of itching to send down roots though and have a couple younguns. :mug:

Ya'll said it the best... Been lurking as I made my move down South. Even though my brew setup isn't Co together, I still feel active knowing I follow this thread as much as I can.

9 of 12 jars did not seal. I think I had too much wort which prevented the seal. I left an inch of head space but apparently that is not enough. Another thread says only fill 80%. I'll try that. On the positve side, I have a 1 gallon batch of severly under hoped brew fermenting instead.

My first time using a canner I had the stove control way too high. Boiled the crap out of the contents of the jars. I found that I could turn down the heat quite a bit, still maintain 15psi, and not have stuff boiling out of the jars.

When the contents boil out, the seal between the lid and the lip of the jar is compromised. And remember to wipe that lid clean before you put the lids on.

PP that could be part of the issue. I picture the wort boiling so fast as to keep opening the seal. I'll try to use the minimum heat to maintain 15psi. tonight.

It's been a while, but I think the weight only bounces a very little. It shouldn't be bouncing like crazy. You'll figure it out... maybe practice with just water in there first.

I'm going to process some boiled water. Always can used some canned water for washing yeast. While its processing I'll make a new wort and run a second canning batch. Thanks for the tips.

I gotta say I feel you, Dan.

Great place, great people.

I know that melancholy feeling though. Sometimes it feels as if life is passing me by (or is it bye? Ha!) There is so much that I would like to do and so little time, so rew resources, so many obligations...

When we were young there was alway tomorrow, always that next duty station, but as you get older those "nexts" seem to harder to find.

But Goddammit, Carl Perkins Cadillac...

Last edited by a moderator:
Howdy friends.

Well, I used the last of my 2 Row for an IPA today. I made it an experimental batch by doing only post boil hop additions. I can't wait to see how it comes out.

I always multi task when I brew. Today I was doing laundry while brewing. I walked in the room to discover a puddle of water coming from under the washer. Since money is tight, I refuse to hire a repair man. You know what they say! Necessity is the mother of invention. Thanks to a little ambition and youtube I am now a washing machine repair man!! I found the leak, removed the faulty part, and now I just have to see if I can track down a replacement on the cheap this week. Good thing I got the tighty whities washed first!!

Why would anyone want caps on their taps? Honestly, what are the advantages?
Don't get me wrong, I see the hilarity in handing someone a glass and waiting for the beer to cover them, the walls and the ceiling but...

My keezer is outside by the pool.

Pool by the beer side keg....sounds pretty sweet PP, bugs or not! : )

- Off on a tangent as I usually am .

There are five senses if I remember correctly.

Sight - eyes

Sound - ears

Touch- skin

Taste - tongue

Smell - nose

The last two; taste and smell .. I can't help but believe the two are inseparable. Without one there wouldn't be the other - makes them one to me.

If I had to lose one sense it would be Sight .

Why?

- #1 Hearing. Even if I've lost some it is still the most important . I can not imagine life without sound. I might not be able to name or classify every piece of music written, but do love in my heart and soul the wondrous sound of music.

- #2 , Taste and Smell. I think they are defined as two different senses. But to me one. They can't part.

- #3, Touch. The warmth of another person.

That's just me.

Cheers!

I still don't get it. It just seems like caps would make and breed funk unless the tap and cap get sprayed out with star San or something. And what kind of bug infestation do you have going on that you need caps? I had a rator outside in FL and didn't do anything special to it.

I still don't get it. It just seems like caps would make and breed funk unless the tap and cap get sprayed out with star San or something. And what kind of bug infestation do you have going on that you need caps? I had a rator outside in FL and didn't do anything special to it.

I know without doubt I didn't need caps on my faucets. But they looked pretty cool. That's about it. I got them because I figured they would keep sawdust (kegerator was in the garage) from getting in the faucets. Truth is before I got the covers, I don't ever remember sawdust intruding on my beer.

In addition , before my phone dies. With or without cap's, I ways kept my faucets clean. That's probably more important than caps.

Cheers!

And to use an Ischiavoism - Over and Out! : )

I have my Keezer in my basement, I don't have a garage and live in a very humid area especially in the summer. If I didn't cap them I'd be drinking black mold all summer. It's just like a cork or swing top for your taps - they cost $.50 a piece btw.

I just recently switched from caps to the little brush-caps. I soak the caps in starsan. Currently, I have a keg of carbonated water (to mix with caffeinated crystal light), and an APA. I didn't clean the lines between kegs as I normally do. I noticed the brush smelled horrible after a day. I cleaned the line and faucet and brush. I wonder though if the bristles are trapping moisture?

Back