Wyeast 3711 French Saison?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samsonave

Reaction score
1.063 OG Fermenting at 72 degrees

Has been actively fermenting for 9 days straight. Never had any beers go so strong for so long. Anything weird about this strain?

1.063 OG Fermenting at 72 degrees

Has been actively fermenting for 9 days straight. Never had any beers go so strong for so long. Anything weird about this strain?

this is my house strain and it does like to go for a while but it's worth the wait. i would not raise the temps 72 is fine, 75 is the upper limit but i ferment at 68 and it's always a crowd pleaser. my grain bill is always very simple since this yeast IS the main flavor component; 95% belgian pils 5% unmalted wheat.

eastoak said:
this is my house strain and it does like to go for a while but it's worth the wait. i would not raise the temps 72 is fine, 75 is the upper limit but i ferment at 68 and it's always a crowd pleaser. my grain bill is always very simple since this yeast IS the main flavor component; 95% belgian pils 5% unmalted wheat.

That sounds great. I will keep patient and watch the magic happen.

Two recent beers: One went from 1.067 down to .997, the others from 1.074 down to .998.

Strangely, the resulting beers didn't taste horribly dry. This yeast leaves something in the mouthfeel that's very nice. Your beer might end up with more alcohol if you assumed that it would end at 1.008 or something, as I did.

Anyway, this yeast is quite nice. Not because of how far it ferments, rather because the character it produces in a beer is complex and tasty.

This yeast is a crazy strain. I think it would ferment your spoon if you stirred too long. It is also different than most saison strains, because it does not need to be fermented hot to finish.

enjoy

MattHollingsworth said:
Two recent beers: One went from 1.067 down to .997, the others from 1.074 down to .998.

Strangely, the resulting beers didn't taste horribly dry. This yeast leaves something in the mouthfeel that's very nice. Your beer might end up with more alcohol if you assumed that it would end at 1.008 or something, as I did.

Anyway, this yeast is quite nice. Not because of how far it ferments, rather because the character it produces in a beer is complex and tasty.

Thanks. I am really excited for this one! Day 10 and its still rolling along.

I just bottled up a 1.060 Saison with this guy that fermented out to 1.000. I pitched at 60, and it stayed on the basement floor of my friends house at around 60-65. In hindsight, I would ferment warmer, but this turned out to be a super refreshing, easy-drinking beer with a surprisingly full mouthfeel given the FG. This yeast is so much less fickle than the Belgian Saison. I made a Belgian Dark Strong with it that I'm racking to secondary tomorrow. Can't wait to taste.

Latest posts

Back