You know you have made a good beer when..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flipfloptan

Reaction score
I have always felt my friends have had my beers to be nice. But I knew I made a good beer when my friends came over and passed up the Sierra Nevada and Sweet Waters and said do you have any of the SMaSH beer left.

I made a simple MO/Simcoe pale ale and they wanted more. I am now a proud homebrewer.

I know when I've made a good beer when I take a drink and say "Holy Mackeral that's good!" I almost never say that with a commercial beer.

When co-workers bring in Grain and hops to a recipie I had pinned to my cubical wall and leave them on my desk with a note when are you making this beer.

when consistently drinkers fall to the ground in a full body spasmotic orgasm after sipping my beer for the first time. It happens quite often, which gets kind of annoying from the loss of spilled beer.

Double_D said:
When the "I don't like IPA" guy likes my IPA

My wife did that after I made Yooper's DFH 60-minute clone. She normally hates American style IPAs, but the FWH + continuous hopping came out very smooth.

When I think it's good. I'm a terrible perfectionist and have had enough legitimately delicious beer to know what it tastes like. I'm a way harsher critic than anyone who tastes my beer, although that may change when I start competing.

When I think I have a good beer I give it to the bartenders / owner at my favorite joint. They're always honest and the last time I went there they said to run and grab another bottle and my whole nights tab would be paid. Now that's what I call a good beer.

When people ask how much it would cost to make them a batch. I always tell them cost + their labor. If I can expose someone to brewing, my labor is always free.

When you have a hard time convincing your friend that you actually made what they're drinking.

When, after cracking open the first bottle, you wake up the next day only to find your entire stash is completely gone.

When I think it's good. I'm a terrible perfectionist and have had enough legitimately delicious beer to know what it tastes like. I'm a way harsher critic than anyone who tastes my beer, although that may change when I start competing.

This. I'm very critical of the stuff I brew. Other people will be telling me it's really good while I stand there and say, "It's ok, I guess. I should have _____."

ChuckO said:
This just signifies that you are making too small batches. You need MORE EQUIPMENT so that you can brew more.

This is true, I'll run that theory past the wife and see what happens.

Nice knowing you all!!!

When my nephew was helping me last Saturday and after he was done I said what are the damages. He said he wanted to be paid in my beer.

:rockin: When you have to HIDE some bottles or STOP people from drinking ALL your keg. :p

You brew a good style of beer you hate, just to have some good beer you like.

....when your SWMBO keeps telling people that she refuses to drink any commercially produced beer because yours is better. :rockin:

beerloaf

When you get that double take when someone asks where it came from and you tell them "my garage"

When my neighbor (A professional beer distributor) tried my Pliny clone and after 2 pints he opens the kegerator and says: "damn, I thought you were messing with me and had an actual keg of Pliny in there!"

hoptualBrew said:
when consistently drinkers fall to the ground in a full body spasmotic orgasm after sipping my beer for the first time. It happens quite often, which gets kind of annoying from the loss of spilled beer.

Sounds like that's not all that gets spilled. Did you buy a Swiffer?

When half the people who try your beer eventually die from alcohol poisoning or cirrhosis, and the other half requires extensive rehab to stop compulsively drinking your homebrew before it kills them.

Back