• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB - your old brewing equipment!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlatenight

Reaction score
Hi all, This is my first post here. Like many of you here, I've been playing around with my "Beer Machine" and I want to step-up to the next level. I want to get a decent 5gal brewing system and I'm thinking folks here might have some extra stuff laying around they'd like to unload. I need a brew pot, a bottling bucket, 5gal. glass carboys, even corney kegs, CO2 bottles, etc. as I might go the keg route instead of bottling. So peeps on the South Shore of MA.....watcha got??

Hi all, This is my first post here. Like many of you here, I've been playing around with my "Beer Machine" and I want to step-up to the next level. I want to get a decent 5gal brewing system and I'm thinking folks here might have some extra stuff laying around they'd like to unload. I need a brew pot, a bottling bucket, 5gal. glass carboys, even corney kegs, CO2 bottles, etc. as I might go the keg route instead of bottling. So peeps on the South Shore of MA.....watcha got??

I'm going to throw a plug in for Witches Brew shop in Foxboro. He won't be able to help you out on the kettle and/or burner but for a 5 gallon kit, carboys, software, etc, unless you go used his prices are tough to beat. He does have limited hours though (Thurs/Fri nights, Saturday 12-5).

Your best bet on Corny kegs these days, unless you go pin-lock, is to keep an eye out on the web - IME, the last few months most homebrew shops have been unable to get their hands on them at competitive prices.

Modern Homebrew in Cambridge has ball lock Corny's in stock every time I'm there. The price is now $45 each though. If you're patient you can find them on CL but you have to be quick if they price is anywhere below $40. They are getting scarcer and scarcer. The weymouth store just opened a week or two ago I believe. If it's anything like the cambridge store, it's a great place.

Modern Homebrew in Cambridge has ball lock Corny's in stock every time I'm there. The price is now $45 each though. If you're patient you can find them on CL but you have to be quick if they price is anywhere below $40. They are getting scarcer and scarcer. The weymouth store just opened a week or two ago I believe. If it's anything like the cambridge store, it's a great place.

$45 is a pretty good price. I've seen them as high as $60 in some LHBS's. Never been to the Cambridge store since it's out of my way but did go to the West Boylston store a few years back and was far less than impressed (YMMV).

Their 50$ in "ok"shape at brew and grow in Chicago. Ball lock that is. I recently found done here for 35$.

Thanks Zeekage! I've actually collected most, if not all, of the basic equipment I'll need: 6gal glass carboy, bottling bucket, wort chiller, thermo/hydrometers, etc. so I'll probably pass on this groupon. All I need now is a good brewpot and a few odds and ends....and a LOT more knowledge, although I'm learning fast.

Do people buy cheapo stockpots and mod a drainage tap on the front?

Sure do. Look in the DIY section I'm sure you'll find tons of threads on drilling SS/Aluminum and putting welded/weldless couplers and ball valves in them.

You dont NEED a valve on the front though if you're doing partial boils. Just dump the pot into a bucket. If you're worried about hops/trub put a 5 gal paint strainer bag in the bucket (sanitized of course) and pull out the hops/trub in the bag. I still do this even though I have a valve on my kettle now. Lots of people just dump it all in though. Personal Preference really.

Sure do. Look in the DIY section I'm sure you'll find tons of threads on drilling SS/Aluminum and putting welded/weldless couplers and ball valves in them.

You dont NEED a valve on the front though if you're doing partial boils. Just dump the pot into a bucket. If you're worried about hops/trub put a 5 gal paint strainer bag in the bucket (sanitized of course) and pull out the hops/trub in the bag. I still do this even though I have a valve on my kettle now. Lots of people just dump it all in though. Personal Preference really.

You can also just use a racking cane/siphon off the edge of the pot the same as you would off a carboy. IMO a lot easier than trying to effectively pour 5 gallons of liquid into a funnel.

Back