HBT at NHC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was me that said that. You're welcome.

It looks like everyone had a blast! I so wish I could go, but money problems and all that. If it's in SFO next year I will definitely be there! SWMBO's lived there awhile, so she can show me the sights.

How much beer did Yooper spit on the floor? Her mouth is wide open in every pic.:D You guy's look like you had way to much fun, im jealous:(

lol.. what a great set of pics..

where did you all get your shirts?? freakin awesome!

If you're talking about the white T-shirts, we got those from Zazzle.com. I think it was EdWort's idea - helped us to identify each other by our avatars (though I didn't have an avatar before)

By the way, for you guys who can't tell in the pictures, Brewinmama and Brewench are absolutely gorgeous. They definitely made an impact on our appearance as a homebrew club! They were both wonderful, too, and added greatly to our group. This is my first day away from the conference, and it's been really hard to not go have a great beer at 9 AM, like Richbrewer mentioned.

All I have here are some Stone IPAs and my own homebrew (I'm in Youngstown, OH, for another week) and I wish I could just walk to the elevator and have a couple. (The "vertical tasting suite" also always seemed to have a keg or three in it). I was stuck in the elevator with 14 other brewers for a while on Friday night- and I was up until 4 AM at least two nights in a row. It was a great time! My jaws hurt every day, just from laughing so much.

Some spots are a bit hazy, and some are pretty clear. Out of the hundreds of beers I tried (and meads, ciders, wines, moonshine, bacon vodka, etc), I only dumped a couple. There were some seriously excellent beers!

I'm still on the journey home after driving to Columbus today, flying Southwest to Nashville, then Houston, and now my flight it delayed to Austin. It will be tomorrow before I make it home.

Time for another beer.

come on ed, you need to spend a day in nashville and let me and jdoiv show you around!

Sounds good to me. I wish I would have known it would take all day to get home. I'll look ya up next time I'm in the hood.
icon14.gif

Gotta say I had a great time for the short time I was able to hang out. I only wish I could have hung out longer and helped out more, but duty called (bad timing with the new employer). Everyone from HBT that my wife Jennie and I met were just the nicest people. That crowd for club night was something, but when you have that much great beer around, what would you expect?
Not sure if we can make it out to the coast next year, but SWMBO is already talking about the year after.

Highlights:

1) Sitting on a couch in the lobby on the laptop. Meeting Yooper (for the first time) who immediately fires up her laptop and plops down beside me. We talk to each other as we login to HBT.

2) Getting the live broadcast to work and then getting Justin Crossley to chat online, getting Char Pap (as ChrisK calls him), Gary Glass and Ray Daniels over to our booth and waving to the camera.

3) Talking to Ray Daniels, drinking his Black IPA. Ray asks me about the Rabbit and Coyote logo and suggests I tell the story to Randy Mosher because he would be interested. Having Ray introduce me to Randy!

4) Laughing so hard my throat hurt because Rich was filling the glassware in ChrisK's back pockets.

5) I shouldn't be surprised, but I continually am... Everyone I met is exceedingly as interesting, engaging and a pleasure to be with as I could have hoped.

Oh and this:

2606921100_ea3327172c.jpg

Open invite to pub with them when they come to Phoenix for spring training.

I know i'm in no position to be be wishing for anything (seeing as I was there for club night and DID get to meet and hang out with Ed, Yoop, olllo, Brewtus, Clay, Chef, bearcat, SWMBOs, and others, but the more I read the more I wish Julie and I had signed up for more events and could have spent more time there. Vertical tasting suite? that's awsome!

Yooper, you brought the same special friendliness to our booth at club night that you provide on this forum every day. I think you single-handedly brought tons of traffic to our booth with your smile, conversation, and contagious laughter. I can't imagine the happy tune that must circulate at your hospital with you working the front desk. Oh, and that crabapple wine you brought was fantastic.

I know i'm in no position to be be wishing for anything (seeing as I was there for club night and DID get to meet and hang out with Ed, Yoop, olllo, Brewtus, Clay, Chef, bearcat, SWMBOs, and others, but the more I read the more I wish Julie and I had signed up for more events and could have spent more time there. Vertical tasting suite? that's awsome!

Yooper, you brought the same special friendliness to our booth at club night that you provide on this forum every day. I think you single-handedly brought tons of traffic to our booth with your smile, conversation, and contagious laughter. I can't imagine the happy tune that must circulate at your hospital with you working the front desk. Oh, and that crabapple wine you brought was fantastic.

Aaron, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate that. One of the high points of the entire week was meeting you and Julie.

Another high point was making Charlie P laugh his ass off. I really liked everybody I met.

I still can't get over what a great bunch of people in general in attendance. I mean, there were over a thousand homebrewers more beer than could be consumed and I did not witness a single a$$hole incident. Speaks to the quality of the crowd!

The HBT'ers are a great bunch of folks too. Ya'll are a hoot! :D

Save your shirts for next year!

You mean you survived NHC2008????? :drunk: I'm coming through Nashville in December on the way to Sevierville for Christmas. Sounds like I need a side trip.

Drop me a line when you come through, Im dead in between Nashville and Sevierville. I can provide lodging or some homebrews.

Yooper, you brought the same special friendliness to our booth at club night that you provide on this forum every day.
+1. Friendly from the second you meet her - right off the bat cracking wise. Not more than 10 seconds after I show up, but she tells me that ohiobrewtus has an EF he wants to give me. Now that's a greeting one won't forget.;)

Now that I know she works in a hospital, I feel better about her qualifications to offer the entire Huntington, WV homebrew club a free vasectomy!!:D

I still can't get over what a great bunch of people in general in attendance. I mean, there were over a thousand homebrewers more beer than could be consumed and I did not witness a single a$$hole incident. Speaks to the quality of the crowd!

I hadn't even considered that, but you're right. This must be the largest gathering of drinkers without any jerks turning up.

The old saying is true: "Good people drink good beer."

I almost forgot about this pic. Lorena and I, along with 13 other people, got stuck in the elevator on the way to ProBrewer's night.
We almost didn't get on the elevator because it was crowded but we thought what the heck! Apparently, the two of us, and maybe more correctly I, put that elevator over it's limit. We were stuck between the first and second floors. It was hot and very cozy to say the least. At first we had fun with it and everyone was great but it just started getting uncomfortable and finally they fixed what ever was wrong and we were off.

DSCF0174.jpg

+1. Friendly from the second you meet her - right off the bat cracking wise. Not more than 10 seconds after I show up, but she tells me that ohiobrewtus has an EF he wants to give me. Now that's a greeting one won't forget.

Now that I know she works in a hospital, I feel better about her qualifications to offer the entire Huntington, WV homebrew club a free vasectomy!!:D

Thanks for the kind words- it was very easy to be friendly to such a great group of people!

Oh, for the rest of you guys, did I mention that Mrs. Ohiobrewtus (brewinmama) and Mrs. MrFebtober (Brewwench) are incredibly young and gorgeous?????? I think that is really what brought the attention to our booth. And Mrs. OllllO is beautiful and charming. I was more the filthy mouthed old lady (I had actually forgotten about the WV vasectomies!) who promised beer to bystanders.

I met many brewers (my goal was to meet EVERY person there- I think I came close on Thursday, but fell short on Friday), and many mentioned that they knew who I was from HBT but they tended to not post much. One guy was in the hombrew club KGB (good beer at their booth, by the way!) and made me feel famous when he introduced me to his friends. Here's another picture of an HBT'er with me:

Robnog and me with one of his friends (Ryan, I think his name was):
DSCF0192.jpg

The big dinner on Saturday night:
DSCF0291.jpg

And me pouring a beer with Pseudochef:
DSCF0293.jpg

It looks like you guys had a great time and I'm sorry I missed a chance to at least say hello and enjoy a beverage or two with you. I DID end up actually being in the area Friday night (Walton, KY) but in the end two factors prevented me from even attempting to set up any kind of meet.

#2, I had just driven 6 hours with my 4 year old who never shuts up. Even with his own DVD player. I mean I love him, but he NEVER shuts up. (Even when he sleeps he snores :drunk: )

but #1, In all the planning of my roadtrip I realized that somehow my dad (in Walton) and I hadn't seen each other in 5 years. (Not by design, it just worked out that way) So I figured hanging at his house, catching up and spongeing room and food from him was better family time spent. ;)

I keed, I keed. We all had a blast. I'm glad you guys did too. Some other time! :mug:

(Sidenote)
Good thing was while there, I tackled and subdued a sixer of Magic Hat Not Quite Pale Ale. I also captured and brought back as hostage bombers of Arrogant Bastard, Vertical Epic and Ommegang's Abbey Ale. The Magic Hat was great. Nice Apricot. :rockin: The Ommegang I can BARELY get here. The Stone I can't get at all. Saving them for the perfect occasion.

Ize

Back