Accidental awesome beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugleBrew

Reaction score
So I've been on a black and tan kick lately. I had a fridge full of Bass but no Guinness, so I tried making one with a homebrewed Stout (AG kit from Northern Brewer, Dry Irish Stout). Well, the instead of a black and tan, this stout just mixed with the bass. I was frustrated and dumped it and tried pouring again, this time I got the same result. I drank this one though, and it was delicious! Definately the coffee/nutty taste of a stout, but a little bitter, hoppy, and almost salty aftertaste. I encourage everyone to try this. It was incredibly good.

I've been meaning to try a B&T with my homebrewed APA and stout, and you've just given me a reason to try it later on TODAY!

I may be wrong, but I think the reason Guinness floats is the nitrogen.

I think you're right. I thought that at first it was just the gravity difference between the APA and the Stout, but I think it's the nitrogen that does it. I'm drinking one now. Delicious.

I'm pretty sure it's the gravity. I tried to do Black and Tans with one of my stouts and it mixed. So I looked up the FG of a Bass clone and a Guiness clone and the Guiness is less dense. My stout was more dense.

But you're right, Mixed Black and Tans are pretty tasty too. :mug:

I tried a Black and Tan at home once, and screwed it up because I didn't pour it right. Now I have a special device for it, and have only used it once!

I prefer the taste of it mixed, but if I'm in a restaurant, I usually get it not mixed, so that everyone can see what kind of EAC I am! I'm not a big Guinness fan though either. Not malty or hoppy enough for me...

Woot. So I went backwards today. I poured the Bass first, then my homebrew stout on top. Turns out that it is a gravity issue, because it is completely seperated. It looks a lot cooler with the tan on top, too. It looks like the bubbles are coming up from a bottomless hole. The bass tastes like pee, but it is very pretty.

I may be wrong, but I think the reason Guinness floats is the nitrogen.

Youre half right, I was corrected about this by one of my friends a couple months ago. Guinness floats due to its density. Thats helped along by the beer gas that creates smaller bubbles and therefore a thicker, more viscous liquid that is easier to separate from other beers/ciders with a steady hand and a brolly spoon:mug:

Woot. So I went backwards today. I poured the Bass first, then my homebrew stout on top. Turns out that it is a gravity issue, because it is completely seperated. It looks a lot cooler with the tan on top, too. It looks like the bubbles are coming up from a bottomless hole. The bass tastes like pee, but it is very pretty.

Oh, yeah, the stout goes in after the pale...

I have made black and tans with homebrew, I don't have beer gas so my stout is poured off of CO2, if the stout finished lower than the pale ale it will float on top if both ales finish close to each other they will mix.

Back