Less than Ideal but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PetrolMan

Reaction score
I just wanted to make a test batch of mead and didn't have quick access to anything but Fleischmann's yeast. How badly will this affect the final product? I was also curious about what kind of alcohol content the yeast could handle.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

I just wanted to make a test batch of mead and didn't have quick access to anything but Fleischmann's yeast.

When you get access to the interwebz you will be able to order yeast (and other ingredients) from HBS's online. they're often good value too. You may also be able to use google to find a local HBS too!

Just hang in there for web access - it's worth the wait.

:)

It will still make a mead. It will prolly finish dry. While it is still Sacch Cerv, there just isn;t any information about strain and even if there was some reference, given the way baker yeast co's propogate their yeast, it's prolly mutated to all heck.

Lots of people have used bread yeast and made drinkable products. But even still, you are better off waiting and using relatively known products.

The key here was quick access. It was mainly just an impatience problem and the batch is only a gallon so as long as the yeast makes alcohol and not battery acid I will be happy. Thanks for the quick replies and next time I will wait for a better yeast.

Fear Not young squire!
Anyone that says they've never brewed with bread yeast is either lying, or they are not pushing the envelope enough, or they don't live 120 miles from a brew store.
You will make mead...just don't make any general assumptions based on what you have made.

Having said all that, I can't wait to hear how it comes out.

Welcome to HBT!

Latest posts

Back