Pear wine?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drac0nic

Reaction score
OK, my buddy's dad has a ton of trees with pears on em. I was looking at Jack Keller's page and he said there are different types of pears. What's the quickest and easiest way to ID pears. Besides this, anyone got any good tried and true pear recipes they use? I want sweet wine with lots of body.

No, I don't have any recipes but I'd recommend any of Jack's recipes. My wildlife biologist husband (who is interested in horticulture) suggested Google when I asked him about identifying pears. Hopefully we can dig up more help than that!

Oh I officially hate you now for having a ton of pears and being able to make something with them. :D

hopefully this will help;

allvarietiesnames.jpg

alot of university web sites have great horticulture pages. My mom is now getting a degree in landscape design and she swears by the site that Cornell offers for plants. you should be able to find good traits and characteristics descriptions on that site or any other for help identifying them. of course revvy's pic may be alot easier, just make sure the pear you match is ripe.

after looking at the pictures, what I think are there is one Green Anjou without hardly a doubt, the other one is shaped sort of like a Bosc pear except it has a bit more of a "stem" to it and isn't brown but green. I'm not sure if that's just because they havn't turned brown or not yet though. It definitely has more of a "stem" than the pictured pears though. ED:after more looking I am leaning towards a Bartlett pear, I think I'll throw a couple in a bag see how they ripen up.

Back