Expired coopers malt extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeer

Reaction score
Hi, I got a can of coopers malt extract awhile (and I mean awhile) ago and it has been expired since 2013. I'm wondering if I can just brew it possibly with fresh specialty grains and yeast I have lying around (s-04 or 05) or is it garbage? Not that it's a huge waist but I'd rather make a beer then throw it out. Thanks for the help!

Cheers!

The only way I would use it is if I also had questionably old grains and hops lying around that I did not want to use with fresh ingredients.

Lol this was exactly what I was thinking. Thanks

I say go for it! I brewed a 2 year old Cooper's OS Lager can once, & got this;

Came out like a Paulaner Salvatore doppel bock. Gary at Home Brewer TV gave it the full 3 thumbs up on episode 38. That was pretty cool, considering...:mug:

This past spring I used a can of Mr Beer (owned by Coopers) that had been expired since 2012. I asked around on the Mr Beer forums and the consensus was that the resulting beer would be too sweet, as the hops would've lost their bitterness.

I brewed a quick batch with a bit of specialty grain, added some hops at the end of the boil, and tossed in some S-05. The beer wasn't terrible, but like I had been warned, it was overly sweet. If I had to go back, I would've added some bittering hops, in addition to the the hops at the end of the boil.

I say go for it! I brewed a 2 year old Cooper's OS Lager can once, & got this;

Came out like a Paulaner Salvatore doppel bock. Gary at Home Brewer TV gave it the full 3 thumbs up on episode 38. That was pretty cool, considering...:mug:

Don't bother - he already had his mind made up and just needed one person to justify his decision.

;)

Don't bother - he already had his mind made up and just needed one person to justify his decision.

;)

Lol, i was going to try it regardless but was wondering if there was any advice (which I got) or maybe if I should dial 9-1 and give it a minute hehe

This past spring I used a can of Mr Beer (owned by Coopers) that had been expired since 2012. I asked around on the Mr Beer forums and the consensus was that the resulting beer would be too sweet, as the hops would've lost their bitterness.

I brewed a quick batch with a bit of specialty grain, added some hops at the end of the boil, and tossed in some S-05. The beer wasn't terrible, but like I had been warned, it was overly sweet. If I had to go back, I would've added some bittering hops, in addition to the the hops at the end of the boil.

I have a 6 year old can of Mr. Beer Octoberfest. I can't bring myself to use it and possibly ruin a batch, and I can't bring myself to throw it away (seems like a waste).

Well, in my case, I use a fresh 3lb bag of Munton's plain Extra light DME & some hops. I put the old Cooper's 7g ale yeast packet in a small starter. I needed a blow off rig on that one!

I just bought some expired coopers can from the store (50% off).
They told me that they called the company and they told them that it's good 3 years after. Apparently, taste isnt affected at all, just the color which will be darker than it's supposed to be. Personally, I don't mind.

Latest posts

Back