Wire Size Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MX1

Texas Ale Works
Reaction score
wire-62079.jpg

Can any one tell me what size wire this is?
I found it when I lived in Belgium, it was being used as an extension cord on a construction site.
I used it as the main cord from the wall to my 220v electric boil kettle controller I bought from High Gravity brewing.

I now want to use it as the cable out of my HERMS Panel to the 5500w heating elements in my kettles.

Thanks in advance.
T

This cable has 2.5mm2 wires and it is similar to 13 AWG. So it's highly not recommended for 5500 Watt load.

I am not disputing this, only asking questions because I do not want to burn the house down.

your reply was posted while I was researching, so I am confused as to why it is not recommended?

Thanks

T

Bigarcherynut, it does have the ratings on it. 3G2,5 where 2,5 = 2.5mm^2 .

hers what i found, there looks like there's some inconsistencies between the rating of wires for US standards and Europe standards but front what i can tell 21Apms should be ok according to how it was made (can't tell what wire it is). but this doesn't look like it would pass in the US 12g can only handal 20amps max in the US. maybe someone can read the chart better and determine the exact rating.

http://www.miccomcables.com/Webrochure/Current Carrying Capacities & Other Technical Tables.pdf

US rating is more conservative than European one. So according to European rules this cord can curry up to 25A load. But there is problem with insulation temperature rating. All that ampacity numbers provided in case of ambient temperature is 30C (86F). But near the boiler it can be significantly higher. So to be safe it's recommended to use 10 AWG cord with 105C insulation rating.

US rating is more conservative than European one. So according to European rules this cord can curry up to 25A load. But there is problem with insulation temperature rating. All that ampacity numbers provided in case of ambient temperature is 30C (86F). But near the boiler it can be significantly higher. So to be safe it's recommended to use 10 AWG cord with 105C insulation rating.

Thanks for this information. It is just the reason why I asked the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back