Basic partial mash IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ARock_DK

Reaction score
Hi I would like to do a series of single hop IPAs in the new year. Does anyone have a good basic recipe they have had success with? I really want the hops to be the star as I want it to be a way to get better acquainted with the different flavors and so forth. Thanks in advance.

This is very easy...

*Base of Muntons Extra Light DME (half as a late addition)
*25-50% English or American 2-Row (mashed w/wheat at 147-149F)
*0-15% Wheat Malt (aids head retention & adds a bit of quality)
*0-10% Corn Sugar (late addition, helps aid dryness if OG is high)
*0-8% Crystal 10, 20, 30, or 40 (steeped- depending on how much caramel sweetness you want)

Be sure that your grain is crushed/cracked before mashing it.

*Cali Ale yeast such as WLP001 or Wyeast 1056 (starter if necessary)

*Gypsum and Calcium Chloride, if needed (check water profile first)

Follow a basic 60/10/0/DH pellet hop schedule, light on the bittering addition, heavy on the late additions. First two additions are added to boiling wort. The third addition is held for 20-30 minutes in warm wort between 100-160 F. The last addition (DH, or dryhop) is added to the 65-68 F beer for a week or so.

What hops were you planning on using? What specific flavors from the hops are you shooting for? I really enjoy the citrusy, piney, pungent, fruity, floral hops we get from the Pacific Northwest of USA, such as Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra, Columbus, Chinook, Centennial, Cascade, Apollo, Nugget, and Summit. Some of the varieties from New Zealand are also quite good.

Yes that is exactly what I want. I love American hops and I want to get a better understanding of what they do, that's the basis idea of these brews. Unfortunately I would love to do citra but it is backordered well into the new year. I guess homebrewing suppliers in small Northern European countries are far down the distribution list.

I was thinking to start with centennial. It is one of my favorites and easy to obtain here.

I also have trouble acquiring most hop varieties in pellet form. Just not as widely used here maybe? Any changes I should make if i use whole leaf hops? Thanks for the advice on the grain.

How did your's turn out? I'm actually planning to brew three one gallon recipes, changing only the single type of hops. in each one.
Matt

Back