Diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarysnare

Reaction score
I did a blonde ale with a 1.070 OG and a 1.010 FG and I used Safale us05 yeast. Do I have to do a Diacetyl rest for that yeast? please explain.

Thanx:mug:

You don't have too, but with an OG like that it wouldn't hurt and would give the yeast a chance to clean up after themselves a bit. I almost always do diacetyl rests with my ales, especially the blondes.

I'd call that an Imperial Blonde if I were. 8%! Wow! How's it tasting on samples? Hot at all?

Do you think 3 days will be good on the rest?

The tasting was surprisingly smooth and a little "hot".

Thats a great describtion

Just leave your beer in the fermenter for a couple weeks after fermentation. Diacetyl rest complete. Probably only takes 3-5 days though.

Do you think 3 days will be good on the rest?

The tasting was surprisingly smooth and a little "hot".

Thats a great describtion

Yeah, 3 days should be good. But a few more won't hurt. I have left ales on the yeast in very warm temps (85+ at times) for 6 weeks...and I wouldn't recommend that, but 75 for 3 days will do the trick just fine.

I would do one for sure because of the gravity. Honestly, unless you have to turn a beer around quick I would always do a rest on any beer, with any yeast. It ensures they clean up any fermentation byproducts and leaves you with the best beer possible.

Unless you really need to turn that beer around, leave it in primary for 2-4 weeks. I do a 4 week primary on pretty much every beer, crash it down to 40F for a few days and then keg. The beer is much better than when I have rushed it out of the primary.

I'm not in a hurry for it, I just want a smooth "clear" beer. so you wouldn't do a secondary ferm. for this beer?

I normally do a secondary for two weeks before kegging/bottling

Wether or not to secondary is a whole other debate that's happened a thousand times. I'm of the opinion that it's only necessary if you're bulk aging for months and months. Lots of others swear by them. In my experience I've seen no benefit clarity-wise from them but I also cold crash every beer before I rack to the keg, so maybe they help if you don't do that. It also depends on the yeast strain. Up to you, really.

If you have the means, I highly recommend cold crashing- its the single best thing you can do for clarity next to fast wort chilling.

I think I have the means to cold-crash. I have lagered before. Could you explain the details of cold-crashing more.

Thanx

All it is is rapidly dropping the temp to at least 50F (for ale yeasts), I do about 40F- for a few days before you bottle/keg. You can do it longer if you like but generally a few days will do the trick.

Rapid temperature drops will encourage the yeast to flocculate out and of course so will temperatures far below their operating range. When I say rapidly, that's relative, just throw it in a fridge and set the temp low and you should be good to go.

That sounds easy enough, I sometimes bottle my beer, Would I have to bring the temp back up for bottleing?

sounds easy enough. I guess I would have to bring it back to room temp before bottling in order for it to carbinate, correct.

yes you would need to bring the temp back up for bottling to carbonate. Bottle then keep the bottles at 70 degrees for 2-4 weeks the refridgerate a bottle for a couple days then enjoy. If it is fully carbed you are good if not wait another week or two.

Latest posts

Back