Extract Pumpkin Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlakeL

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew a fall beer and thought something with pumpkin or pumpkin spices would be good. I love pumpkin pie but have never tried any pumpkin beers. Does anyone know of a good recipe for extract brewing? I plan on doing a 2.5 gallon batch so i'm not looking for a kit. The recipe from Northern Brewer seems pretty simple so I might go with that but would love some suggestions.

The main idea in a pumpkin ale is that you want to shoot for a relatively low IBU (in what brewtarget would call the 'balanced' range) - select a recipe for a cream ale or a blonde or porter - and then add pumpkin and/or spices.

You don't want to use outstanding hops. Stick with noble hops and hops that are closely relative to nobles.

Canned pumpkin is a good way to go. Those Libby people know what they are doing, and conversely the grocery stores don't seem to stock what i would call a good eatin' punkin.

You will need about a pound of canned pumpkin per gallon. Since you are brewing with extract you will be adding pumpkin during the boil.

Bag your hops and plan for a lot of sediment. The pumpkin should go right into the fermenter. 6 gallon fermenter required.

Spices go in at 10 or 15 minutes before flameout. I used half a teaspoon of allspice, half a teaspoon of ginger, half a teaspoon of nutmeg, and a teaspoon of cinnamon. If you have "pumpkin pie spice" in a jar you can use 2.5 teaspoons of that. Or bump it up to a tablespoon if you like the spice.

Use a neutral yeast. Notty or S-05 fermented in the low 60's.

You may want to try fining with gelatin in the primary to get the sediment to compact further. I ended up with 4 gallons of porter and 2 gallons of trub. I had to hold the racking cane at the bottom of the beer to avoid pulling just trub. The most wonderful yummy smelling trub i have ever washed down the drain.

Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale here on HBT in the spiced beers recipe area seems to have a lot of success, it lists a 5 gallon extract batch, if you just want 2.5 you could cut it in half.

I decided to make some up yesterday actually, decided to go with that recipe only because if a recipe is good enough to have over 100 pages of replies over several years, people must love it.

Back