Non Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mblakely

Reaction score
So I made a Wee Heavy Scotch ale last at the end of last summer. It landed about 8.5%. I bottled into some 12oz, some 22oz, and some 8oz. The first 12oz bottle I opened had the correct carbonation, but it was still young. I gave a 22 to a brew buddy of mine, a few months ago, and she said it was great. I had a party the other night and popped a 22 and had great taste but very little carbonation. I bought the special "oxygen barrier" caps.

Is there any reason for the loss of carbonation? Or might this just be a oddity in a few bottles.

Cheers

How did you add your priming sugar?

If you added it as a batch, you should have consistent carbonation, unless your caps aren't sealed. If you did it bottle-by-bottle, it's variance in the amounnt of sugar you added.

Oxygen barrier caps have nothing to do with your carbonation level.

I do the dame thing for all of my beer thus far. I use a bottling bucket, add my sugar water, then the wort, then bottle. So even carbonation should be reached. Can't think of anything I would have done differently.

Cheers

perhaps the heavier beer you made this time didn't let the sugar mix in as evenly as your past recipes.

I try to gently stir the bottling bucket every 12 bottles or so, in addition to letting the racking action stir the sugar water into the beer.

sometimes good caps don't seal right either.

Latest posts

Back