Tasting question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewawan

Reaction score
Can anyone help me with the taste of my brews? Without going into specifics, my latest batch (B3 English IPA) taste a bit too malty for me. I can definitely smell and burp hops, but I think it is too malty still. My other two brews also have this same malty taste. It seems to maybe be something I'm doing during boiling; like boiling temp?:confused: But people, don't get me wrong they all are very enjoyable:drunk: but not what I think a, English IPA, beer should taste. It should be all hops, right? Well if anyone knows a general answer for this, it would be much appreciated. Thanks:mug:

It sounds like you aren't getting very good hop utilization in your boil. But you will have to provide us with the details of your recipe and complete brewing procedure before we can help you further. :)

Well I don't want to bore you with all the details, but if BJCP guidelines state a more malty flavor as compared to American versions then I may have hit it right on the head. It definitely has hop to it, but not as much as a Pyramid IPA. The initial sip also definitely comes off with more malt than I thought but I guess there's my reason. Thank you guys.

brewawan said:
Well I don't want to bore you with all the details, but if BJCP guidelines state a more malty flavor as compared to American versions then I may have hit it right on the head. It definitely has hop to it, but not as much as a Pyramid IPA. The initial sip also definitely comes off with more malt than I thought but I guess there's my reason. Thank you guys.

I agree. It sounds like your beer tastes as it was designed to. You'll need to find a good American IPA recipe if you want to emulate something like Pyramid. West Coast IPA's are some of the hoppiest beers in the world. In the meantime enjoy what you have. Personally I'm finding I'm less interested in high hops and more into the flavours to be found with the various malts.

Back