Next steps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venquessa

Reaction score
So with batch 4 in the FV I need a 'next' recipe.

Done the kit and the kilo, tiwce.
Done the 'add some DME'.
Done the 'add some DME, grain, hops' - no sugar.

So, I'm thinking the next one is a 'no kit can' brew.

Do you think I should go for a mostly extract + 2 grains + 2 hops? All grain might be a little too big a step and I can only do a 2.5gl boil.

Bro - you're moving right along. Steep some grain for 30 min, and then a 60 min boil using DME and a couple of hops additions @ 60 and 20 minutes. Play with it and see what you get.

I've been brewing for 20+ years and still use tinned, hopped LME as a base for my brews. But I'll also put together a recipe now and then to see if it'll work (but I do have a 20L brew pot).

Cheers!

I still use cooper's cans with various plain DME's,various hops. Even different combos of cooper's cans with DME & hops. So many combinations. I've steeped grains & am looking at partial mash in my 20qt,5 gallon SS BK. Maybe look at partial mash?...:mug:

My near term goal is an all grain Irish (Red) Ale.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f65/caffreys-irish-ale-clone-200961/

Caffery's, but I don't think I'm quite ready to do the above yet. So, can anyone propose a recipe for an Irish-like red ale, without a kit tin.

I'm thinking light ale, golden/reddish color, malty, caramel, smooth taste.

Thinking out loud... please correct me. The bulk of the fermentables would come from Light DME maybe 2Kg? The reddish tone and caramel taste can be got from crystal malts. Hops... no idea, subtle bittering to allow the malty/caramel flavor, but not make it sweet. Creamy head.... head retention additive? Yeast, would it make a big difference between any-ole-yeast and proper Irish Ale yeast?

Caffery's ideal. Smithwicks great. Bass, grand. Know where I mean? Don't know the lingua to describe what I mean.

Try looking in the recipe threads at the top of the forum. You'll likely find one that uses DME/LME,but from scratch in regard to bittering hop additions,etc.

I looked a few recipies for various Irish-like red ales some with long ingredient lists others short, but I think I'll aim for a basic, simple, but kit free Irish red.

Just
3Kg Light DME.
500g Crystal 60L
Irish Ale Yeast 1084
Fuggles (45min)
Goldings (15min)

... and see what I get.

I used a calculator I found online and it even said this met Red Ale style constraints.

3Kg of Light DME is quite expensive though, at £6 ($10) a kg.

Back