Going to make an Apple Pie Ale - on the use of cider or real apples...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Reaction score
I have an extract recipe I formulated and all seems great but I want to know how I should proceed with adding the apple taste. I'd prefer to use actual apples or apple cider instead of apple extract since so many talk of odd tastes with the fruit extracts. I was browsing some sites for info and I see Midwest's Apple Ale kit says if using real apple cider to boil to only get 4 gallons in the fermenter then to add 1 gallon of unpasteurized or preservative-free Apple Cider to the fermenter after 2-3 days in active fermentation. However their recipe still mentions adding apple extract when bottling.

So, questions are:

Would 1 gallon of cider be enough to add a noticeable apple taste?
Are there any options for using actual apples? If so, how and what would need to be done to get a noticeable apple taste?

Rev.

I didn't use the Midwest kit but did use their idea of adding a gallon of cider to a different kit that said had apple notes in it. it was really good a few weeks after it was in the bottle, nice apple flavor but not overpowering. Now that they've been sitting a few months- not so good, and most people I've shared with agree. Kind of bitter and- bah, I don't know the right word to describe it, just not good. My mom made to Midwest kit with the flavoring and I enjoyed it. The flavor wasn't as strong but stayed smooth even after a couple of months in the bottle...

The problem with using apples is that when it ferments down it gets very tart and doesn't have a strong apple flavor. Typically when making cider, fermentation is stopped and/or it is backsweetened so you get a more appley flavor rather than a dry, white wine-like flavor. With the unfermented sugars in beer you tend to get a little sweeter flavor from the apples without having to do anything to it. I don't know if you will get enough apple flavor from the apples alone. If you used apples with a strong flavor you might be able to get a better result. Ultimately you may have to add some lactose to further sweeten or add apple extract for the flavor.

Hmm, I guess maybe I'll order some Apple Extract then and maybe also use a half gallon of apple cider, to at least get some real apple flavor in there.

Rev.

How did this turn out? I recently purchased the apple ale kit from midwest and I'm wondering how I could add real apples or cider to it.

Back