Corking non-belgian 750 ml champagne bottles.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoePro

Reaction score
So, I have this tripel that needs to get in thicker bottles to handle the carb volume, and I have 26 bottles (750 ml) worth to get in. Problem is, all my recycled bottles aren't belgian-- there are some Champagne style bottles. I have a wing capper and a floor corker-- how would you advise that I cap/cork these guys?

I have all the belgian corks + cages for the belgian bottles. I also have wine corks that fit in the 750 ml pretty well. Can these be used for corking so long as I use a cage?

I use Belgian corks and cages in champagne bottles and they work just fine.

I cap american 750ml champagne bottles, fyi. depends if you just want to use a cork or not-- no input for you on that one

Belgian corks work fine in champagne as said. Plus I don't know what wine company sells sparkling wine in American champagne bottles but I don't have but one or two of them. I have well over 4 cases worth of champagne and belgian bottles. Very few of what I've collected have 26mm caps. So if you ever want to cap them you need to pick up some 29mm caps and a 29mm bell. A bell is like $5. That way you can do long term aging like some lambic producers. Cork with plain wine cork then cap. I think Fantome bottles that way as well.

Back