Will this cooktop crack?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

william_shakes_beer

Reaction score
I have an electric range with a glass/ceramic top that sits on top of the heating elements. Has anyone cracked this top? would it hold the weight of a full boil or should I plan on just doing part boils until I get a propane burner?

I have boiled 4 gallons on my glass stove and it went fine. The one thing the manufacturer cautioned against was heat being applied outside of the elements. It said anything beyond an inch outside the burner element could cause a crack. I made sure to measure the element add 2 inches and keep my pot within that diameter.

I haven't had a problem cracking my electric stove top, but it can't boil much anyway.

I have heard that trying to boil too much on an electric stove can cause the element to burn out. Something about massive objects reflecting too much heat onto the element and causing them to overheat.

i would stick with partial boil because of the BTU's of a stove top burner, not because of the weight capacity.

i have heated 4.5 gallons of sparge water on a glass top stove with stone burners. it did not break on me.

No problems with breakage. It's just not powerful enough to boil 5-6 gals. You might be able to boil that much if you can straddle the boil pot across 2 burners, but it's still a stretch.

Back