puzzling disaster with new recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
Well, my Dad has asked me repeatedly to "brew something like Bud", so I took the initiative and put a recipe together.

3 lbs, 10 oz of Munton's Light LME
1 lb rice solids, dry

Both added after kettle with 8 quarts of water brought to a boil, flame turned off. Resumed boil after stirring fermentables well, water now at 170 F.
Added 1 1/2 oz Chinook hops, boiled for 20 minutes.

Put into stainless fermenter, topped off with additional water to five gallons, put fermenter into water bath of 54 F water, with six gallons of ice added. Temp down to 78 F in 12 minutes.

Pitched Munton's dry yeast, moderate krausen within 24 hours, within 48 hours krausen reached underside of glass top on bucket.

Ten days later, only a few small bubbles remained on surface. Bottled after 22 days in primary. (A strange resumption of krausen activity appeared on surface within the last two days before bottling?)

3/4 C corn sugar in priming bucket, bottled into starsan-purified bottles. Yielded 51 1/2 bottles.

Now, 13 days in the bottle, I drank one. Good head, good aroma and color, but has what seems to be a "burnt" aftertaste.

Any ideas?

I've used Chinook at five minutes remaining with Centennial as my earlier addition, in my signature pale ale. I haven't noticed anything similar in that brew, but I never boiled Chinook for the longer period of time. I don't think it's higher IBU's I'm tasting, but perhaps I'm still enough of a newbie to have a palate trained for this.
Is there a possibility that aging in the bottle may diminish this? This brew was intended for a Christmas gift for Dad.

How much did you stir during the boil?

Even after adding the 2 gallons of water, I'm wondering if perhaps the concentrated wort wasn't still thick enough to carmelize in your brewkettle. Seems to me this is one of the issues you may encounter when doing a partial boil.

If the color is ok, it wasn't scorching. That's a heap of Chinook for such a lite beer. I've never used that much for flavoring, even in my 3CPA. Even so, I can't think of anything in the Chinook flavor profile that would account for a burnt aftertaste. It might mellow, burnt/smoked flavors often do. I'd have a backup gift (something you can use yourself, of course).

Technically, to be "Bud Like" you used Way too much hops. The proper amount is, take one pellet and wave it over the pot for 5 seconds during the boil. Then throw it away.....:D

You know, you said you had new yeast activity the last two days before bottling. Could the yeast have begun "cannibilizing" (eating each other)? I know that will cause off tastes, but I am not sure what it would be like.....would be interesting to find out.

Being that it is such a light colored beer I wouldn't expect a burnt flavor like with a porter. Maybe it just hasn't conditioned long enough in the bottle. I would wait a few more weeks and then try it again, beer can have some weird tastes and aromas soon after bottling.

I'd guess it is the chinook. According to beersmith that will give you a little over 50 IBU, quite bitter for an American lager drinker. Especially for a light bodied beer with OG of only 1.032

It is unlikely that you scorched the wort if this is your normal procedure, at 2 gallons you were only around 1.080 SG which doesn't sound like it will scorch with reasonable care.

How did you come up with that 50 IBU number? I checked on my copy of BeerSmith and came out with 29.8 IBUs. Still, that's pretty high for a bud clone. I would've thrown in like 1oz of crystal at 10 minutes.

Chinook is often described as kind of "harsh," not sure if that's what you might mean by "burnt." Probably not the best choice for a real light beer like this.

Back