Lots of yeast post-bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atbump

Reaction score
Hi folks, I'm new here. I just bottled my fourth brew and I'm having sinking feelings about the turnout. I use a cheap little Mr Beer plastic fermenter with a tap, as I like how manageable two gallons can be. For this batch I transferred my post-fermentation beer to another fermenter for about an hour to further strain dry hop matter and I stirred up the yeast way too much in the process. I bottled about two hours later (I admit, after smelling hops all day I was impatient...I should have had a homebrew and waited) and now as I look at my capped bottles, I'm seeing a TON of yeast and sediment floating around. So much so that you cannot see light through it. I understand that it will settle but I have had extremely carbonated bottles because of this in the past. Should I have much to worry about? I don't fear the yeast and drinking yeast, however, I do fear over carbonation and a very strange brew.

Excess yeast usually isn't the issue with over carbonation, its the amount of fermentable sugars - if you have a little yeast or a lot of yeast, all the fermentable sugars will get eaten up, no more and no less.

After the bottles condition (around 3 weeks at 70 F or higher), put them in the fridge or another cool place and to help clear the beers.

The amount of yeast doesn't decide carbonation, it's the amount of sugar. If you were over carbed you probably put in too much priming sugar. The good news is that the yeast will settle out in the bottle. You'll want to make sure you pour the beer slower and leave the last oz of beer and yeast in the bottle. Everything is gonna be fine!

I agree with Pappers, the amount of yeast going into the bottle is'nt the issue, it's the amount of fermentables your adding. If you have to little yeast in the bottle, it will reproduce and get the job done, if you have to much, the access will drop out of suspension to the bottom.

+1 Agreed. Too much yeast will not be a problem and you do not have to worry about bottle bombs or overcarbonation. The yeast can only eat so much of the sugar before they drop out of suspension so you will not overcarbonate. The only factor that will effect overcarbonation would be the amount of fermentable sugars which you can calculate and adjust to achieve the desired carbonation.

Not to worry! The yeast will drop out of suspension and the beer will clear. Just be careful not to disturb it when pouring and your beer will be perfectly fine.

Back