Looks like I've got my first infection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PSmurf78

Reaction score
So last night, I was busy transferring some meed's around and happened to notice that my Amarillo ale that's been sitting in the carboy for a couple weeks now has developed a film across the top. I didn't notice this last week, but its got a very thin white film now. I would say it almost looked like spiderwebs across the top of the beer.

With a gental rocking, some of the film would cling to the side of the glass. The flim broke up slightly, but continued to float on top. You can see the result in pic 3

I wasn't really sure what to do with it, so I just tried to rack the beer from underneath the film into another carboy, and then tried to nuke carboy, autosphion, etc... with bleach water mix, then starsan mix

Here's the pics
Infected_beer1.JPG

Infected_Beer2.JPG

Infected_beer3.JPG

Didn't taste it last night. I got it transferred to another carboy, and will watch it over the next week or so to see what happens. I'm hoping that by leaving the last 1/2" or so when transferring, I left a lot of that gunk in the previous one.

I did taste it going into the first carboy, and was surprised at the taste, but I didn't write anything down and now can't remember what really surprised me. I just know it didn't taste like I expected it to, but I don't remember it tasting bad, just different.

If it was me, I would taste it. If it doesn't taste horrible, and the SG is steady, I would bottle/keg it and drink it quickly.

Back