My first kegging (need help!)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

size

Reaction score
Okay so I've let my newest batch (a porter) sit in a primary fermenter for a couple weeks, and now I'm ready to transfer it to my first keg! It's just a little pony keg with a CO2 tank attached, but I have a few questions.

Mark from my LHBS told me I didn't need to add priming sugar, because the CO2 would take care of my carbonation, is this right?

He also told me to set the PSI to ~30 units, and set it in a refrigerated space for 3 days, then to decrease the PSI to ~12 and by then it would be ready to drink. Is this accurate?

He said it would only take about 3 days before it was ready to drink, but would allowing it to sit in the keg for a week or two mature the taste? I'd assume so...

Also if there's anything else (tips, tricks) you'd like to let me know about with kegging, bring it on! Thanks in advance for the help!

-Kelly :mug:

The technique you've outlined sounds ok to me! I like to keg my beer when it's about 4 weeks old, though You can keg it earlier, of course, but green beer is still green beer whether it's carbonated or not.

If you're kegging now, I'd go ahead and set it at serving pressure (12 psi) and wait 10 days or so. You can carb it quicker with the technique you've described, but that beer is really young and will benefit from aging a bit and you might as well just wait it out.

Should it spend the whole 10 days at refrigeration temp?

Keep in mind I'm using my garage, which is about ~45 degrees, but that can be changed.

Thanks for the help!

IF you're force carbonating it, fridge temps are best. Remember though that beer ages more slowly at cooler temperatures, so you may want to keep it at room temperature for a week or two to age a little and then chill it.

It's just a little pony keg with a CO2 tank attached, but I have a few questions.
-Kelly :mug:

Is your keg a cornelius keg? Sorry if I am missing something, but how do you fill a pony keg?

Back