Steeping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Everywhere I have read, and all of the kits I have used so far ask to steep anywhere from 45-60 minutes, then pull the bag, put it in a strainer into a bowl, and pour left over after it cools into the pot.

All over this forum I have heard 30 min tops? So which is it?

I always thought that a longer steep gives you a better color.

I am a newbie so I am just wanting experienced brewers opinions.

From John Palmer's book:

"Steeping specialty grain is like making tea. The crushed grain is soaked in hot 150 - 170°F degree water for 30 minutes. Even though a color change will be noticeable early on, steep for the entire 30 minutes to get as much of the available sugar dissolved into the wort as possible. The grain is removed from the water and that water (now a wort) is then used to dissolve the extract for the boil."

I think that it is not uncommon to steep for less than the 30 minutes. Some just put the grains into the pot of water, heat it to say 165F, then take out the grain bag. That usually takes less than 30 minutes. I'm surprised you've read instructions to steep longer.

Steeping too long will lead to unwanted tannins in your beer which will darken the color and my give you astringent flavors.

Back