The stupidest comment on your beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why would you think your beer sucks? I think my beer is awesome! Its pretty much all I drink. My IPAs and vanilla bean smoked porter are the best I've had. When I get an IPA while I'm out I'm almost always disappointed.

Because I spend almost 8 -16 hours a week on crap I don't really think is very good. It's for my own sanity.

It's fantastic to spend all of my time on making crappy beer.

I too have yet to make something I believe is better than store bought beer. I have fermentation temp control, a stir plate and have played with my water chemistry. My friends like most of my stuff and say I'm too picky. :confused:

I've made several awful batches, and several batches better than middle of the road microbrew, but only one was so great that I stopped buying other beer while it lasted. Now that I've got temp control and I (seem to have) straightened out my efficiency issues I think that'll improve.

That said, let's talk about dumb crap people said about our beers again. This is getting too mopey-drunk, and not enough buddy-drunk.

*Clears throat*

Not a great story, but the third time my brother tried my homebrew he suddenly became anxious, looked over his shoulder, and waited until my wife went back into the kitchen. We were alone. "Hey, man," he asked.

"Yo," I replied.

"Like... you know." Long pause. "Is it 'hoppy' or 'hopsy' when a beer is like this?"

Longer pause, and I raise an eyebrow.

"It's hoppy, dude."

"Alright, great." He relaxed immediately. Takes all sorts, I guess.

I've made several awful batches, and several batches better than middle of the road microbrew, but only one was so great that I stopped buying other beer while it lasted. Now that I've got temp control and I (seem to have) straightened out my efficiency issues I think that'll improve.

That said, let's talk about dumb crap people said about our beers again. This is getting too mopey-drunk, and not enough buddy-drunk.

*Clears throat*

Not a great story, but the third time my brother tried my homebrew he suddenly became anxious, looked over his shoulder, and waited until my wife went back into the kitchen. We were alone. "Hey, man," he asked.

"Yo," I replied.

"Like... you know." Long pause. "Is it 'hoppy' or 'hopsy' when a beer is like this?"

Longer pause, and I raise an eyebrow.

"It's hoppy, dude."

"Alright, great." He relaxed immediately. Takes all sorts, I guess.

I wish more people would ask questions! That is an awesome funny story.

I got the "Is that for your still" thing when I took my wort chiller into the hardware store today to get a new copper fitting, and when the woman at the counter said the same thing, the guy that had helped me said, "oh no you have to SAY it's for beer". I just grunted and snatched up my bag on my way out.

I had neighbors call the cops after driving by my open garage door while I was brewing. They saw my immersion chiller and propane bottles and reported I was cooking meth.

Not so much a stupid comment as a fun story, but...

Our across-the-street neighbour is a fireman. He noticed me brewing in the garage one day (I use a turkey fryer) and came running across the street in a near-panic. He was about half way through a really good lecture on why using a turkey fryer inside was a bad idea ('fountains of flame' came up a few times), when I cut him off to point out I was boiling water for the sparge. Laughter ensued, I introduced him to hot scotchies, and now he shows up at the garage everytime he sees me brewing.

At least he doesn't drink beer - & he brings the scotch!

Bryan

Warthaug said:
Not so much a stupid comment as a fun story, but...

Our across-the-street neighbour is a fireman. He noticed me brewing in the garage one day (I use a turkey fryer) and came running across the street in a near-panic. He was about half way through a really good lecture on why using a turkey fryer inside was a bad idea ('fountains of flame' came up a few times), when I cut him off to point out I was boiling water for the sparge. Laughter ensued, I introduced him to hot scotchies, and now he shows up at the garage everytime he sees me brewing.

At least he doesn't drink beer - & he brings the scotch!

Bryan

Haha hope he was cool about it. I boil in my garage as well but still have a 2 and a half gallon extinguisher at the ready at all times during brewday. Us firemen i guess are always on the lookout for stuff like that.

And a fireman who doesnt drink beer? Never heard of one of those. Didnt know they existed. :mug:

Haha hope he was cool about it. I boil in my garage as well but still have a 2 and a half gallon extinguisher at the ready at all times during brewday. Us firemen i guess are always on the lookout for stuff like that.

And a fireman who doesnt drink beer? Never heard of one of those. Didnt know they existed. :mug:
Well, he doesn't drink real beer. Coors is about as strong as his tastes go.

Bryan

I was brewing a beer a couple of days ago and had a couple of people over. As were waiting for the sparge to finish my pumkin beer gets noticed. This beer is a spice bomb that i dont believe will mellow out. I enform everyone if the like it they can take a case home. I open a botle and everyone tries. My brother in law says its not bad. He says we all dont like it because we can propaly taste the alchool.
He took a case home.

Makes horse sound.

At least mine hasn't asked that question, I mean our liquor stores consider Amber Bock to be a craft beer.

We were still living in Wisconsin and planned weekends and vacations to all the small breweries throughout the state. We had a small liquor that had 30+ craft beers. (almost 20 years ago);)

My neighbor looked across the street and saw my three tier setup in the making, shook his head and said "Duck Dynasty has nothing on you." I had a good laugh.

I just finished a decoction brew day and my wife said, "I don't understand why you put yourself through that. Wouldn't it be easier to just run down to the store and buy some beer?"

Why does Grandma go to all that trouble of baking cookies? Wouldn't it be easier for her to just run down to the bakery and buy some?

My mash paddle broke two batches ago, so I figured I'd carve a new one out of a solid board. Went to Lowe's, talked to the guy in Lumber.

Clerk: Whatcha doin' with this anyway?
Me: Brewing beer, actually. Need something to stir with, so I reckoned I'd carve a paddle.
Clerk: Real good idea. Real good real good. They use maple for scotch barrels. Makes real good whiskey.

*beat*

Me: Okay, that's cool. I'm making beer though.
Clerk: It's gonna add its own special flavor. Real good.
Me: Yeah, I'm just gonna be stirring.
Clerk: You know what you do, right? You're gonna take your paddle... while it's still hot... and you put, you put a plastic bag over the end. Then when it cools down it'll squeeze all that stuff out. Make the strongest beer you ever had.
Me: Man... I have to go.

Kerin said:
My mash paddle broke two batches ago, so I figured I'd carve a new one out of a solid board. Went to Lowe's, talked to the guy in Lumber.

Me: Brewing beer, actually. Need something to stir with, so I reckoned I'd carve a paddle.
Clerk: Real good idea. Real good real good. They use maple for scotch barrels. Makes real good whiskey.

*beat*

Clerk: You know what you do, right? You're gonna take your paddle... while it's still hot... and you put, you put a plastic bag over the end. Then when it cools down it'll squeeze all that stuff out. Make the strongest beer you ever had.

Hahaha!

*beat*

I think that dude has watched too many commercials for Jim Beam's Devil's Cut.

At a friends party last night i was pouring out samples of My pale ale and brown ale

A young girl asked for a sample of the pale ale and i Gave get a cup

Her "this tastes like cat pee"
Me "I'm sorry to hear that"
Her " no seriously it tastes like cat pee"
me "how do you know what cat pee tastes like"
Her "well it tastes like cat pee smells"
Me "your prolly tasting the hops... Some people don't care for it"
Her "well it tastes like pee... You should give up"

I think she was just a b****

i have to to noticed there are a couple different reactions, some say its good to be nice, some say they don't Care for it, some actually mean they like it and some offer constructive criticism

Her "this tastes like cat pee"

Oddly enough, I actually have this reaction when I try any of Stone's IPAs. I thought I just didn't like Centennial, but I like it everywhere else. I have no idea what the problem is, but at least I know the problem is me and not the brewer.

I think that dude has watched too many commercials for Jim Beam's Devil's Cut.

I think you're exactly right. :mug:

Oddly enough, I actually have this reaction when I try any of Stone's IPAs. I thought I just didn't like Centennial, but I like it everywhere else. I have no idea what the problem is, but at least I know the problem is me and not the brewer.

I think you're exactly right. :mug:

Hmm that Is interesting... This was a smash beer... Centennial and 2 row

Kerin said:
Oddly enough, I actually have this reaction when I try any of Stone's IPAs. I thought I just didn't like Centennial, but I like it everywhere else

I've heard Chinook can taste like cat pee if the hop isn't good and stone uses a lot of chinook along with Centennial...

Due to an unfortunate incident involving my wort chiller wintering in the shed while full of water, I needed to pick up a new chiller. As I approached the bus stop with long copper tubing in hand, a group of teenagers at the bus stop watched with mounting distrust. A guy mumbled, "Yo, I see you're building a still."

"Nope, it's for beer," I replied. This did not appear to reassure anyone. One guy's girlfriend was whispering furiously in his ear as I sat on the bench. Moments later, they all left. Buddy's girlfriend tried to sneakily take a picture with her phone, but when she saw me watching she raised it and took several more.

Very strange. I can only imagine what her conversation with the cops sounded like.

I wish we had more teenagers like that over here, they might be ignorant busybodies but here you would get beaten up for a copper pipe, they steal that stuff even if it's nailed down!

I told her that the store didn't have anything near as good as what I was making.

Well, they probably do but around here it'd only be found in $9.99 22oz bombers. Which is why most of the beers I make tend to be the big beers you typically find in single bombers and not 12 packs.

My wife had a good one last week, I made a fresh juiced peach/apple wine and I filled the carboy a bit full and the peach solids all rose to the top, then stopped up the airlock, she sees it and asks "will it explode?"

(second time they had been called by same prick neighbor)

Great story, but based only on this tale, I don't think it's fair to call him a "prick." Misinformed or ignorant maybe, but not a prick. He saw what he perceived as illegal activity going on in his neighborhood, so he reported it. Nothing wrong with that. If I saw someone ACTUALLY distilling, or cooking meth in their garage, I'd report it too. If it turned out he was just making his own cough syrup, does that make me a "prick," or just ignorant regarding the techniques and equipment involved in making your own cough syrup?

That said, I doubt this was an isolated incident, and I'm sure you have other perfectly good reasons for forming such a negative opinion of this particular neighbor.

I too have yet to make something I believe is better than store bought beer. I have fermentation temp control, a stir plate and have played with my water chemistry. My friends like most of my stuff and say I'm too picky. :confused:

I understand the self criticism as I do the same. However, don't take my inebriated humor too seriously. If I have over 50 batches under my belt and approximately 3000 posts here, I'd be a fool to continue this hobby if I always produced crap beer .

I think the media has plagued peoples mind on this crap. Meth and distilling instruments look different from one another, and they look different then beer brewing too.

If you are so uneducated and you don't know the difference or what those instruments even vaguely look like, then why in the hell are you calling the cops on someone? People kind of need to mind their own business. at least do a quick look on Google, "meth making equipment" and if they are the same then call the damn cops. But in all reality, would a meth cook or a distiller be so dumb that they fire up in the garage in the middle of daylight in suburbia?

It seems to me that people want something bad to be going on.

If I saw someone making meth; I'd call the cops! That's bad stuff. If I saw someone making moonshine; I'd say two words"how much?" I would also make sure I was out of the blast radius just to be on the safe side.

I think the media has plagued peoples mind on this crap. Meth and distilling instruments look different from one another, and they look different then beer brewing too.

If you are so uneducated and you don't know the difference or what those instruments even vaguely look like, then why in the hell are you calling the cops on someone? People kind of need to mind their own business. at least do a quick look on Google, "meth making equipment" and if they are the same then call the damn cops. But in all reality, would a meth cook or a distiller be so dumb that they fire up in the garage in the middle of daylight in suburbia?

It seems to me that people want something bad to be going on.

Almost a decade in the oilfields has taught me this. People have called in with some crazy stuff. We're talking about the kind of people, that don't have enough going in their own lives, so they have to look outside their windows, (literally), to find entertainment, or they just get off on getting people in trouble.

Also, yes I don't expect everyone to know all of the terminology and equipment used for brewing beer, OR making meth, but I do expect people to have the common sense to tell the difference. I don't know anything about making candles or lye soap, but if I saw my neighbor doing either one I could probably discern what he was doing wasn't illegal at least.

The copper coil is pretty much what people identify with stills.

Meth lab probably looks more like my yeast setup.

Back