3/8" thick floating layer of trub?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bja

Reaction score
Made my first batch last night. About an hour after I pitched, white globs began to form and rise to the top. After another hour the air lock started bubbling and a 3/8" thick layer of what looks like soggy corn flakes was floating on top with bubbles underneath it. This morning the air lock had stopped bubbling, but I can see active bubbling in the carboy. Is this all normal? Should I shake it up to get the trub to sink?

Thanks,

Bob

It's normal and sounds like you have nice fast fermentation. Do not shake! It will all fall out when it's ready, just like it suppose to do. Now the hard part, waiting. Do not be impatient, it will be done when it's done. Leave it at least a week to 10 days and take hydrometer reading. If you get the finished gravity you expect, transfer to clearing tank or wait another two weeks before you bottle. BTW, fermentation is not pretty, you will get all sorts of ugly floaties.

Welcome to HBT!

Thanks guys.

I wasn't expecting so much to be floating, so just wanted to make sure I didn't do something wrong.

psychodad said:
And I hope this is something you see through a glass carboy and you aren't taking the lid off your bucket to look at it.

Yes, it's in a glass carboy.

bja said:
Made my first batch last night. About an hour after I pitched, white globs began to form and rise to the top. After another hour the air lock started bubbling and a 3/8" thick layer of what looks like soggy corn flakes was floating on top with bubbles underneath it. This morning the air lock had stopped bubbling, but I can see active bubbling in the carboy. Is this all normal? Should I shake it up to get the trub to sink?

Thanks,

Bob

Did you make a yeast starter, Bob? That's some quick fermentation! I just pitched a batch last weekend and used a starter for the first time- I was shocked at how quickly fermentation kicked in, it was amazing.
:rockin:

Junebug said:
Did you make a yeast starter, Bob? That's some quick fermentation! I just pitched a batch last weekend and used a starter for the first time- I was shocked at how quickly fermentation kicked in, it was amazing.
:rockin:

No, just used dry yeast and hydrated it. I was surprised too. The package said it would take 24-72 hours to start.

Sounds like it's going great for you, then. The hard part is to not touch it for a week!

I actually like using a bucket for the fermentation period- it keeps me from looking!

Back