Fruit Beer Blood Orange Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow I tried a bottle last night! For it having smelled so raunchy in the bottling bucket, there was absolutely nothing of that smell left. I was surprised at not tasting much orange. I half expected more of a shandy sweetness to it but the result was a crisp refreshing beer with a hint of orange bitterness and sweetness. Gonna have a tough time keeping these on hand into summer when they would taste best!

I've read it through a couple times and I'm still confused.
How does the Hefe come through with using 1007 & 3333?
Neither is a Hefe per Brewsmith

All Grain

6.00lbs Pale Malt (2 Row)
4lbs White Wheat Malt
1lb Vienna Malt
1lb Light Brown Sugar
****Mash 158 for 45 minutes****
0.25 Cascade Hops at 60 Minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 20 minutes
0.25 Cascade Hops 20 minutes
0.25 Sorachi Ace 7 Minutes
0.50 Orange Zest 5 Minutes
2 yeast...Wyeast 1007 and Wyeast 3333
Wyeast 1007 and starter used to start fermentation
Wyeast 3333 used when you add blood orangeade, no starter
****Start Vigorous Fermentation****
After Vigorous Fermentation subsides (3 days), add Blood Orange Extract
****Ferment for a minimum of 3 weeks****

I used to use fresh blood oranges for this recipe and if you would like to, feel free to email me and I will give you the instructions...but cautious, several people screwed it up by getting some of the white skin in the mixture.
Here is the recipe for the blood orangeade:
1 x 1.75 liter of Simply Lemonade mixed with 8 to 9 ounces of Torani Blood Orange Extract, sample to see if you like the flavor before adding....add after 3 to 4 days of vigorous fermentation has ended, also dont forget to add Wyeast 3333 at this time, blow off tube strongly recommended for this recipe...if you do not have a blow off tube, then sanitize a piece of aluminum foil and lightly form an upside down cap on top of your fermentor neck...this will allow more gas to escape and will prevent wild yeast from invading...make sure foil comes down the neck by an inch.

This is the 18th and final version of this recipe for me, I tried to make it fool proof so that everyone can enjoy this one!

Some questions I know some people will ask:
- Extract Version - Yes, give me a couple of weeks to make it and test it before I post...in the interm, you can use the extract base from my Lemon Lime Hefe, just add brown sugar, change hops and use bloodaide.
-Secondary Fermentation - No, I rarely use secondary fermentation, because these yeast will kick some sugar ass and make a great beer, so why remove them!
-Subs - Feel free to sub what you want, I know I had 18 versions of this and finally found this one to be a great beer.
-Dual Yeast - I made several versions of this beer and couldnt find the right yeast, both of these applied at different times did what I was looking for...created a damn good beer!
-Torani Syrup - Google it and you can buy it on line, or at a restaurant/coffee supply place.
- 5 or 6 Gallon Recipe - The base is 5 Gallons + Bloodade
-IBU's/Gravity or Color dont Match - I use Beersmith as a recording tool, sometimes their may be calculation errors, but if you make great beer than the rest is kind of irrelevant to me...unless it prevents me from making beer.

Just found the site, like what you have going on with this recipe. One question ,did you heat your bloodade to sterilize it or just go straight in to the fermenter ?

Just found the site, like what you have going on with this recipe. One question ,did you heat your bloodade to sterilize it or just go straight in to the fermenter ?
Direct to the fermenter, it is sterile from the bottle. You can boil if you like, since it's all going to be cloudy anyway.

Back