I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dan said:
A bit old fashioned but I still like this song. "Sitting By the Dock of the Bay" I remember the first time I heard this song wAs when I was 9 or somewhere around that. I "helped" my dad paint the big front porch of our house. Seventies, oil based paint. I still smell it sometimes and reminds me of a few things. One is of that time I painted the front porch with him and another of when the house painters came over to paint the house and my brothers and me used a big price of canvas to throw over the clothes line and make a pup tent. We didn't want to smell the oil paint Wow! Am I reminiscing Video Link: http://youtu.be/zrK5u5W8afc

Ooops. Wrong song but a good one never the less

Hmm, either that or just a lot of thermal mass. In any case, I hope you get things dialed in. Those things can get truly hot.

We've got an old coal stove I burn wood in so I understand. It seems to be an all or nothing affair. At least it's in the basement so it's usually under 75, but it can get out of control and make it hard to sleep.

The fiberglass gasket on the main door fell off a while back. I need to get some more of that goop to glue it back in. I'm sure that will fix the problem.

My brewshop is an old 16x24 garage. I insulated the walls and rafters with leftover insulation cutoffs from a massive steel building we worked on. The stove is one of those enclosed type that would be installed in a living area. It used to have a blower by the looks of it. It is way overkill for this garage but I can heat it up in here with a few cardboard boxes. It's nice when it's -20 outside except my RV hose water supply is hard to keep flowing;)

Doing some prep for tomorrow's spent grain pizza.

I have a nice poolish of US05 bubbling away, and I'm milling the spent grain in to a coarse flour..

IMG-20131028-00365.jpg

IMG-20131028-00366.jpg

Doing some prep for tomorrow's spent grain pizza.

I have a nice poolish of US05 bubbling away, and I'm milling the spent grain in to a coarse flour..

Is your recipe for the spent grain pizza posted here (or elsewhere?) I like the idea of US05 in the crust, its a good reason to have even more extra yeast on hand.

Is your recipe for the spent grain pizza posted here (or elsewhere?) I like the idea of US05 in the crust, its a good reason to have even more extra yeast on hand.

This is my first time using dried, milled grain. I used to use wet grain right out of the MLT. I've modified my old recipe accordingly.

This is what I'm going with. I may have to adjust the amount of liquid..

For Poolish;
1/2 cup of warm wort
1T brown sugar
3T bread flour
1/2 packet bread yeast or ale yeast

For dough;
1/2 to 3/4 cup of wort
2 to 2.5 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cups spent grain flour.
1.5T Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or bacon fat :D)

Allow poolish to ferment over night.

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl (along with the spent grain). Add
the poolish, wort, and EVOO to the flour and beat until it makes a dough. Add water or
flour to get the correct consistency (not just tacky but sticky).

Roll the dough into a ball and place it in a bowl,
covered with a towel. Let it rise over the next
30 to 60 minutes (or 2-4 hours if using ale yeast). When ready, punch down the risen
dough and cut off a piece for your pizzas (depending on the size you're going for.)

Bake pizza at 420F for 10-14 minutes.

This is my first time using dried, milled grain. I used to use wet grain right out of the MLT. I've modified my old recipe accordingly.

This is what I'm going with. I may have to adjust the amount of liquid..

For Poolish;
1/2 cup of warm wort
1T brown sugar
3T bread flour
1/2 packet bread yeast or ale yeast

For dough;
1/2 to 3/4 cup of wort
2 to 2.5 cups bread flour
1 tsp salt
3/4 cups spent grain flour.
1.5T Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or bacon fat :D)

Allow poolish to ferment over night.

Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl (along with the spent grain). Add
the poolish, wort, and EVOO to the flour and beat until it makes a dough. Add water or
flour to get the correct consistency (not just tacky but sticky).

Roll the dough into a ball and place it in a bowl,
covered with a towel. Let it rise over the next
30 to 60 minutes (or 2-4 hours if using ale yeast). When ready, punch down the risen
dough and cut off a piece for your pizzas (depending on the size you're going for.)

Bake pizza at 420F for 10-14 minutes.

Thanks! Is there a particular SG for the wort you shoot for, or just the last brew?

Stauffbier said:
This is my first time using dried, milled grain. I used to use wet grain right out of the MLT. I've modified my old recipe accordingly. This is what I'm going with. I may have to adjust the amount of liquid.. For Poolish; 1/2 cup of warm wort 1T brown sugar 3T bread flour 1/2 packet bread yeast or ale yeast For dough; 1/2 to 3/4 cup of wort 2 to 2.5 cups bread flour 1 tsp salt 3/4 cups spent grain flour. 1.5T Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or bacon fat :D) Allow poolish to ferment over night. Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl (along with the spent grain). Add the poolish, wort, and EVOO to the flour and beat until it makes a dough. Add water or flour to get the correct consistency (not just tacky but sticky). Roll the dough into a ball and place it in a bowl, covered with a towel. Let it rise over the next 30 to 60 minutes (or 2-4 hours if using ale yeast). When ready, punch down the risen dough and cut off a piece for your pizzas (depending on the size you're going for.) Bake pizza at 420F for 10-14 minutes.

Stauffbier that sounds good! If I can go on a rant; and I'm good at that

I love to talk bread. Akin to beer, bread is made of four ingredients. Yeast, water, a grain, patience

The best bread I know of, levan , is made from natural, organic cracked wheat flour. The wheat germ is easily seen. I had a sourdough culture if this stuff growing in my fridge for 6 years. It Made the most remarkable bread ever. Man, it wS scrumptious
Lethe starter was born in the Mojave deserrt and thrived in Hawaii. One two many deployments and lack of attention it died after 5 years

Stauffbier that sounds good! If I can go on a rant; and I'm good at that

I love to talk bread. Akin to beer, bread is made of four ingredients. Yeast, water, a grain, patience

The best bread I know of, levan , is made from natural, organic cracked wheat flour. The wheat germ is easily seen. I had a sourdough culture if this stuff growing in my fridge for 6 years. It Made the most remarkable bread ever. Man, it wS scrumptious
Lethe starter was born in the Mojave deserrt and thrived in Hawaii. One two many deployments and lack of attention it died after 5 years

That's really cool Dan! I was just thinking today how cool it would be to make a mother and keep it going for many years. I think I might just have to do that!

Stauffbier said:
That's really cool Dan! I was just thinking today how cool it would be to make a mother and keep it going for many years. I think I might just have to do that!

Mike, it's a great thing to do. Please read a book called 'Bread Alone" by Daniel Leader. I wish I could get paid for referring him haha
I think you would enjoy his writings. Hell, if you even like a quarter of my posts and honesty. I think you'll enjoy Daniel Leaders book, "bread Alone"
In my opinion, the greatest bread book ever!
I had a dream to open a bread bakery many years ago; it was called "Heavan's Gift. I lost my drive and settled for comfort and security, I never went with that dream

Mike, it's a great thing to do. Please read a book called 'Bread Alone" by Daniel Leader. I wish I could get paid for referring him haha
I think you would enjoy his writings. Hell, if you even like a quarter of my posts and honesty. I think you'll enjoy Daniel Leaders book, "bread Alone"
In my opinion, the greatest bread book ever!
I had a dream to open a bread bakery many years ago; it was called "Heavan's Gift. I lost my drive and settled for comfort and security, I never went with that dream

Thanks Dan. I'll track down that book online. I'd love to learn more about baking bread. I love doing it, but I know very little about it.

In the baking world my specialty, so to speak, is German sweets. Specifically holiday cookies, torts, stollen, etc... My grandmother's traditional family stolen recipe is a "yeast-free" version, which is rare. My mother has asked me to experiment with a more common yeast-risen version this year. I'm looking forward to the experiment.

I also enjoy making baklava. People seem to go nuts for the stuff.

Perhaps your dream of "Heavan's Gift" can still happen. No reason to let the dream die.

Thanks Dan. I'll track down that book online. I'd love to learn more about baking bread. I love doing it, but I know very little about it.

In the baking world my specialty, so to speak, is German sweets. Specifically holiday cookies, torts, stollen, etc... My grandmother's traditional family stolen recipe is a "yeast-free" version, which is rare. My mother has asked me to experiment with a more common yeast-risen version this year. I'm looking forward to the experiment.

I also enjoy making baklava. People seem to go nuts for the stuff.

Perhaps your dream of "Heavan's Gift" can still happen. No reason to let the dream die.

I'd suggest Peter Reinart's Artisan Bread's Every Day as a good place to get started fitting baking into normal life. The rest of his book's are pretty good, too. I was able to adapt those recipes into a commercial enterprise. If you really want to nerd out on baking Advanced Bread and Pastries is a great textbook.

I'd suggest Peter Reinart's Artisan Bread's Every Day as a good place to get started fitting baking into normal life. The rest of his book's are pretty good, too. I was able to adapt those recipes into a commercial enterprise. If you really want to nerd out on baking Advanced Bread and Pastries is a great textbook.

The foodie in me would love to go to the extreme, but the realist in me knows I don't have time for it. I still like to learn a little when I do have time, though.

I'll look for those books too. Thanks T!

The foodie in me would love to go to the extreme, but the realist in me knows I don't have time for it. I still like to learn a little when I do have time, though.

I'll look for those books too. Thanks T!

You can call me G. ;). Don't look for the textbook, it's just that and not worth the cost to 99% of homebakers. The Reinhart books are all good, especially Every Day as it's geared towards recipes you can leave in the fridge for a day or two if life gets in the way of bread.

TNGabe said:
You can call me G. ;). Don't look for the textbook, it's just that and not worth the cost to 99% of homebakers. The Reinhart books are all good, especially Every Day as it's geared towards recipes you can leave in the fridge for a day or two if life gets in the way of bread.

TnGabe, I didn't know you were a pro baker but sure am happy you are! I always look at bread akin to beer. Simple ingredients anybody can throw together., Mr Beer; a bread machine. We can all do that without much thought and the results are good.but that's not what you're talking about, me either except I'm on a non pro scale. Little more than beginner but not advanced

Would like to talk to you more about bread making and the love /art and expertise thT goes into making great bread. I've mentioned daniel leader a few times. For me he is Papillon. Might have got the name incorrect. RDWHAHB. - That guy.

I'm on Hawaii time. Very late back home. Goodnight-Goodmorning. Happy day's Ill be back on the mainland, Pacific time in a few days

Brewing up this year punkin pie barleywine and a neighbor I've not met yet shows up
"Whatcha doin?" In a toothless grin

"Brewing beer", I reply

"Wow! I like beer. Can I have some?"

"Sure". Pour him a taster glass of 4.1% 32ibu pale ale.

"Whoa! Rocket fuel. Too strong for me".

"That smells good in the keg. (Keggle) can I try that"

"Well, that's not going to be ready for about 6 months. Maybe a year"

"That long, huh? Can I have some then?"

"Sure. I'm pretty sure you're not going to like this though. What you had before was child's play compared to this"

"Oooohhhhh... Well, gotta go. You be careful drinking too much of that. I heard you'll go blind!"

snaps10 said:
Brewing up this year punkin pie barleywine and a neighbor I've not met yet shows up "Whatcha doin?" In a toothless grin "Brewing beer", I reply "Wow! I like beer. Can I have some?" "Sure". Pour him a taster glass of 4.1% 32ibu pale ale. "Whoa! Rocket fuel. Too strong for me". "That smells good in the keg. (Keggle) can I try that" "Well, that's not going to be ready for about 6 months. Maybe a year" "That long, huh? Can I have some then?" "Sure. I'm pretty sure you're not going to like this though. What you had before was child's play compared to this" "Oooohhhhh... Well, gotta go. You be careful drinking too much of that. I heard you'll go blind!"

Loved that story Snaps!

I'm supposed to finish clearing out the cottage today. Been here three hours and haven't done anything except play with the dogs and walk to Rainbows for a pork cutlet plate lunch. Man was it good! Maybe nap time now. ;)

The bacon donuts are done. I should have smoked twice as much bacon. 1 lb topped 11 donuts and 10 donut holes. The glaze was just real maple syrup and powdered sugar. It wanted to solidify in the pan, so I had to add water to it. I put a bit to much in, so the last few of the bacon donuts won't have the texture I wanted. The rest of the donuts are coated on both sides with maple glaze.

I then heated the glaze until all the water was cooked off, and it was about ready to solidify in the pan with the heat on. Poured that into a non-stick pan. It made some fairly nice maple candy. I didn't want to waste the glaze, I had a lot left.

EDIT: I would say that there probably isn't anything big left that could be done to improve these. The dough is a potato donut dough that's the family standby. I've got one that makes lighter donuts, but it's a touch unreliable. Sometimes the dough collapses. I suppose you could add extra flavors to the glaze, maple flavoring, bacon flavoring, vanilla, etc. I really think that's just fiddling though.

I'm satisfied with these. Very solidly good. I still don't understand what all the hype is about though. Good yes. Life changing? No.

DSC_0146.jpg

DSC_0148.jpg

Mike, it's a great thing to do. Please read a book called 'Bread Alone" by Daniel Leader. ...

I'd suggest Peter Reinart's Artisan Bread's Every Day as a good place to get started fitting baking into normal life. ...
Added both of these to my wishlist. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas.

TnGabe, I didn't know you were a pro baker but sure am happy you are!...
Me too, where do you think I got the focaccia recipe. :mug:

That looks really tasty LG!
They are good. Tasty, but a bit odd. I think that these are something you might have once in a while, but not for breakfast every morning.

They pretty much came out like I expected, family donut dough recipe always comes out well. The glaze is better then I expected. I was a little worried that with all the sugar I added to it to thicken the real maple syrup it wouldn't have much taste. It's actually just fine, good flavor balance. It doesn't overpower the smoked bacon, just compliments it.

I'm actually more interested in the maple candies. Those are a nice surprise. I wasn't sure how well they would come out since I was shooting from the hip with those. As candies, I would say it would be better to reduce the powdered sugar so the maple flavor was a bit more intense. That, and add a bit of salt. Other then that, they are actually very nice with no other flavorings.

Leadgolem said:
Added both of these to my wishlist. Maybe I'll get one for Christmas. Me too, where do you think I got the focaccia recipe. :mug: They are good. Tasty, but a bit odd. I think that these are something you might have once in a while, but not for breakfast every morning. They pretty much came out like I expected, family donut dough recipe always comes out well. The glaze is better then I expected. I was a little worried that with all the sugar I added to it to thicken the real maple syrup it wouldn't have much taste. It's actually just fine, good flavor balance. It doesn't overpower the smoked bacon, just compliments it. I'm actually more interested in the maple candies. Those are a nice surprise. I wasn't sure how well they would come out since I was shooting from the hip with those. As candies, I would say it would be better to reduce the powdered sugar so the maple flavor was a bit more intense. That, and add a bit of salt. Other then that, they are actually very nice with no other flavorings.
p

LG. If my phone let me A big huge well done and thank you. Cheers little brother!

Finally had a bottling session. My Merlot is in the bottle. 30 bottles and a nice glass. It's a nice wine - already beats the pants off of most of the commercial Merlots I've had. I'm very happy I did this batch.

All prepped and ready to brew on Thursday! :rockin: Fermenter is clean, water is treated, ingredients are weighed.

p

LG. If my phone let me A big huge well done and thank you. Cheers little brother!
Why thank you brother. I do think they came out well.

On an entirely unrelated subject, I've been thinking more about what has happened to people because of what social media companies have done with their personal data. I'm leaning toward the opinion that it's much less that the companies are evil, and more that people are just stupid.

That, and a friend of mine thinks she can get me a date if I setup a facebook account with pictures etc... Honestly, it's been a long time and I'm tired of being alone. If giving up some of my privacy is the cost for changing that, I think I'm ready to pay that price.... I know this is a public forum, I don't care. I've not said anything I'd be ashamed of publicly.

Leadgolem said:
Why thank you brother. I do think they came out well. On an entirely unrelated subject, I've been thinking more about what has happened to people because of what social media companies have done with their personal data. I'm leaning toward the opinion that it's much less that the companies are evil, and more that people are just stupid. That, and a friend of mine thinks she can get me a date if I setup a facebook account with pictures etc... Honestly, it's been a long time and I'm tired of being alone. If giving up some of my privacy is the cost for changing that, I think I'm ready to pay that price.... I know this is a public forum, I don't care. I've not said anything I'd be ashamed of publicly.

LG,
The world, our public lives

Finally had a bottling session. My Merlot is in the bottle. 30 bottles and a nice glass. It's a nice wine - already beats the pants off of most of the commercial Merlots I've had. I'm very happy I did this batch.

All prepped and ready to brew on Thursday! :rockin: Fermenter is clean, water is treated, ingredients are weighed.

So, do wines need to sit in a bottle for a while?

Leadgolem said:
Why thank you brother. I do think they came out well. On an entirely unrelated subject, I've been thinking more about what has happened to people because of what social media companies have done with their personal data. I'm leaning toward the opinion that it's much less that the companies are evil, and more that people are just stupid. That, and a friend of mine thinks she can get me a date if I setup a facebook account with pictures etc... Honestly, it's been a long time and I'm tired of being alone. If giving up some of my privacy is the cost for changing that, I think I'm ready to pay that price.... I know this is a public forum, I don't care. I've not said anything I'dtruly my friend. be ashamed of publicly.

LG,

Seems as though life would've a lot more private if it were 20 years ago, but we ain't living there.

Go ahead and find a date on some website. It's okay.

Back