Bee Rye-it RyePA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelRinger

Reaction score
I just brewed this one yesterday. It turned out pretty big and I am hoping that the honey malt and honey additions will help balance out the hops and alcohol.

I will update this as it goes along.

Grains:

9 lbs Pale 2-Row
4 lbs Rye Malt
8 oz. Flaked Rye
8 oz. Honey Malt
8 oz. Caramunich Malt

Additions:

8 oz. rice hulls
2 lbs 8 oz. Wild GA Honey - added at flameout

Hops:

1 oz. Columbus @15 minutes
1 oz. Mt. Hood @50 minutes
1 oz. Centennial @55 minutes

1 oz. Mt Hood - Dry Hop @2 weeks
1 oz. Centennial - Dry Hop @2 weeks

The hop type and schedule was derived from the Sweetwater LowRyeder hop schedule.

Primary for 15 days @ 65-68 degrees. Transfer to secondary for dry hopping, or if you want, add the hops to the primary for two weeks. I prefer to secondary for additions like that, but to each his/her own.

A couple of notes. I added a half bag (about 8 oz.) of rice hulls and once my grain bed settled the drainage of wort was VERY slow. It allowed me to conduct a hybrid sparge, but if you are a batch sparger, you may want to add more rice hulls. I should also note that I crushed my own grains for the first time and I conditioned them, so my barley hulls were mostly intact. With 4 lbs of rye, you should be careful.

Also, this one will require a blowoff if you use a carboy/better bottle for primary. I have this in a 6 gallon better bottle and it blew the bung out even with a 3/8" blowoff tube. May not be necessary with a 7.5 gallon bucket.

Back