Would this work: adding vanilla extract during bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tauschung

Reaction score
I made 5 gallons of a pretty basic medium-sweet wine. I'd like to split half the batch up and add some vanilla. Would that work? If so, how much do y'all think I could add? I was thinking around 2oz based off Jack Keller's recipe.

I made a pretty nice extract of just vanilla beans and vodka. I just don't want to screw up the batch doing it. I know that it will have to further age in the bottles, but I'm ok with that. 5 gallons is a lot of wine.

Edit: I think it'll work. I guess the question is, how much do you think I should add? I don't want the vanilla to be too pungent.

Well, if you split the batch up, then I'd suggest a half teaspoon, carefully stir and taste. Then if its not enough, repeat.... etc, until there's a little less than the exact flavour you're looking for.

That way, if a bit of ageing improves it, it wouldn't be over the top.

If, after ageing, its still a bit light, you could always serve it but using a pipette to put an extra drip or two per bottle.

@fatbloke: Fair enough. I think tasting it bit by bit is probably the safest way of handling the situation.

Back