Doppelbock Evil Goat of Ainpoekish (5C Doppelbock)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osagedr

Recovering from Sobriety
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
W-34/70
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
repitch from slurry
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 47
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 @ 65
Additional Fermentation
10 weeks @ 32
Tasting Notes
rich maltiness balanced by moderate bitterness
20 lb 4 oz Weyermann Munich
2 lb Weyermann Pilsner
1 lb Caramunich
8 oz Chocolate

2 oz Hersbrucker (3.5% AA) 90 minutes (FWH)
1 oz Tettnang (4.8% AA) 27 minutes

Hochkurz Double Decoction Mash
Maltose Rest 90 minutes @ 146
Dextrinization Rest 60 minutes @ 160
Mashout 15 minutes @ 170

Half of this batch was used to make an eisbock which was freeze distilled at 19 degrees. I ended up with 24 twelve ounce bottles of doppelbock and 18 of eisbock. The eisbock (named Otto I) is incredibly rich--reminds me of a port. Would be a fantastic dessert beer.

Typo in the thread title: should be "Ainpoeckish."

**Gold Medal, 2012 Cowtown Yeast Wranglers Homebrew Roundup (Calgary, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 MALT Throwdown (Montreal, Quebec)
**Silver Medal, 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Silver Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Vanbrewer Awards (Vancouver, British Columbia)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Wert Contest (Lethbridge, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 ALES Open (Canadian Region NHC qualifier, Regina, Saskatchewan)

So, just to be clear, this is a 10-gallon batch that you split?

It sounds pretty delicious. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try some lagering after a few more batches, so I plan to bookmark this one and give it a shot.

No, it was a 6.25 gallon batch. Both the doppelbock itself and the Eisbock it fathered turned out very nicely. IMO the keys are using the correct proportion of Munich and taking the time/effort to decoct. I can't wait to make 10g of this again this fall! In the meantime I think I'll do a Maibock soon.

Man... just saw this thread update... I seriously need a chest freezer.

What was your process for the freeze-distillation? Just pop the finished beer in the carboy in the freezer at 19°F and let it sit? If so, for how long?

Man... just saw this thread update... I seriously need a chest freezer.

What was your process for the freeze-distillation? Just pop the finished beer in the carboy in the freezer at 19°F and let it sit? If so, for how long?

I racked half of my batch into a 2.5 gallon keg and the other half into a sanitized plastic pail with a tight-fitting lid. Purged with CO2 to minimize exposure to air, then into the freezer. I didn't take note of how long it was in there but not more than a few days.

osagedr said:
20 lb 4 oz Weyermann Munich
2 lb Weyermann Pilsner
1 lb Caramunich
8 oz Chocolate

2 oz Hersbrucker (3.5% AA) 90 minutes (FWH)
1 oz Tettnang (4.8% AA) 27 minutes

Hochkurz Double Decoction Mash
Maltose Rest 90 minutes @ 146
Dextrinization Rest 60 minutes @ 160
Mashout 15 minutes @ 170

Half of this batch was used to make an eisbock which was freeze distilled at 19 degrees. I ended up with 24 twelve ounce bottles of doppelbock and 18 of eisbock. The eisbock (named Otto I) is incredibly rich--reminds me of a port. Would be a fantastic dessert beer.

Typo in the thread title: should be "Ainpoeckish."

**Gold Medal, 2012 Cowtown Yeast Wranglers Homebrew Roundup (Calgary, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Gold Medal, 2012 MALT Throwdown (Montreal, Quebec)
**Silver Medal, 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Silver Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 Aurora Homebrewing Challenge (Edmonton, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Vanbrewer Awards (Vancouver, British Columbia)
**Bronze Medal, 2012 Wert Contest (Lethbridge, Alberta)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 National Capital Homebrewing Competition (Ottawa, Ontario)
**Bronze Medal (for the Eisbock), 2012 ALES Open (Canadian Region NHC qualifier, Regina, Saskatchewan)

How did it turn out?

I can't find SafLager W-34/70 at any of the LHBS's, is there an alternative that would work just as well?

I can't find SafLager W-34/70 at any of the LHBS's, is there an alternative that would work just as well?

Lots of good alternatives. Actually this year's version was made with S-189 and has 6 golds in competitions including NHC Region 7, 2 silvers, and a Best of Show. I think you would also be okay with S-23 provided you don't try to ferment too cool (< 50) and have it stall out on you. The key is to make sure you pitch 1.5 million cells per milliliter per degree Plato (no matter what the yeast strain). Then of course you have excellent options with liquid yeast: 2308, 2206, 2124, etc. Just make sure you hit the right pitching rate!

Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 10 @ 47
Additional Fermentation: 10 weeks @ 32
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 65

I am getting close to making this beer but there are a few things I don't know, just ask my wife, lol

When I read the fermentation schedule I thought it was like

Primary(10 days@47), Secondary(7 days@65), Additional(10 weeks@32);

The order in the recipe has the last two exchanged. I just want to be sure I wasn't missing something else.

I am getting close to making this beer but there are a few things I don't know, just ask my wife, lol

When I read the fermentation schedule I thought it was like

Primary(10 days@47), Secondary(7 days@65), Additional(10 weeks@32);

The order in the recipe has the last two exchanged. I just want to be sure I wasn't missing something else.

The way to ferment a beer like this IMO is to chill to fermentation temperature or a few degrees below, pitch massive (1.5 million cells per ml of wort per degree Plato, ensuring your yeast temp is at or below your wort temp), ferment at or near the bottom of the temperature range for whatever strain you select, watch for the krausen to start to thin/fall; then raise your temperature for a d-rest of however long it takes to hit FG. Now, if you really have pitched enough and you trust your yeast, a more traditional fermentation schedule would probably just skip the d-rest. With a doppelbock there is no real panic to get the beer off the yeast, however once you are satisfied FG has been reached then rack it to secondary or keg, chill to lagering temperatures, and forget about it for a few months.

Good luck!

I just want to be sure, if it doesn't work I will not be able to fix it. I gave myself a weeks free play just in case something small goes wrong. This is my first lagering experience and I'm a little nervous.

So, if I hit 1.085 that is a plato of 20 to 21. and I'm making 2.5 gallons which is under 10,000 ml.

So I need 1,500,000 * 21 * 10,000 = 300 billion cells.

A typical yeast pack is 100 billion so I just need a small starter.

I just want to be sure, if it doesn't work I will not be able to fix it. I gave myself a weeks free play just in case something small goes wrong. This is my first lagering experience and I'm a little nervous.

So, if I hit 1.085 that is a plato of 20 to 21. and I'm making 2.5 gallons which is under 10,000 ml.

So I need 1,500,000 * 21 * 10,000 = 300 billion cells.

A typical yeast pack is 100 billion so I just need a small starter.

Yes, or dry yeast. This year's version of this beer was fermented with S-189 and did exceptionally well in competition.

We can't get S-189 anywhere I looked. All I can get is S-23. Would you recommend that or go with a liquid yeast. Also, do I rehydrate it and use 3 packs?

We can't get S-189 anywhere I looked. All I can get is S-23. Would you recommend that or go with a liquid yeast. Also, do I rehydrate it and use 3 packs?

I would do liquid yeast, make a big starter then chill and decant rather than pitching the whole 3 litres.

If you go with S-23 then two packs rehydrated should be plenty. I wouldn't go under 50 with that yeast; it doesn't particularly like the cold!

Trying to fit this in a 10 gal. mash tun. About to start the first decoction. Smells great, thanks for the recipe.

Hey osagedr--

I love doppelbocks, but I don't have true temperature control yet in my New York apartment, so I haven't made one yet. But right now I am taking a shot at making an Irish red using the California lager strain (Wyeast 2112). Do you think that the yeast cake from the Irish could be used with this recipe? You may have no idea, of course, but I'd like to give it a shot. (my other post on this is https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/anyone-try-doppelbock-using-california-lager-yeast-437587/ )

Thanks.

Hey osagedr--

I love doppelbocks, but I don't have true temperature control yet in my New York apartment, so I haven't made one yet. But right now I am taking a shot at making an Irish red using the California lager strain (Wyeast 2112). Do you think that the yeast cake from the Irish could be used with this recipe? You may have no idea, of course, but I'd like to give it a shot. (my other post on this is https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/anyone-try-doppelbock-using-california-lager-yeast-437587/ )

Thanks.

Only one way to find out! ;)

Only one way to find out! ;)

Haha, certainly. Well, I'm going to try in the next week or two, and I'll post my results here when I'm done. It would be cool if it works and gave "intermediate" brewers like me a chance to make a lager.

Two questions: did you use light or dark Munich as the base? and which Caramunich was it?

Haha, certainly. Well, I'm going to try in the next week or two, and I'll post my results here when I'm done. It would be cool if it works and gave "intermediate" brewers like me a chance to make a lager.

Two questions: did you use light or dark Munich as the base? and which Caramunich was it?

I don't know for sure which Caramunich it was but I presume whatever Weyermann's standard is.

The 75.79% Munich Type I and 9.47% Munich Type II back when I brewed the original batch. All of the Munich in this year's version was Type II. Either should be okay.

Trying to fit this in a 10 gal. mash tun. About to start the first decoction. Smells great, thanks for the recipe.

Coachzbell, how did it turn out?

Anyone else have any comments/reviews on this? I'm thinking of making this one soon.

Thanks for the recipe.

If I don't want to spend the time on a decoction mash (and having never done one I don't think I want to learn on such a big beer), any suggestions on how high I should mash? I was thinking around 154, but didn't know if I should go any higher.

If I don't want to spend the time on a decoction mash (and having never done one I don't think I want to learn on such a big beer), any suggestions on how high I should mash? I was thinking around 154, but didn't know if I should go any higher.

Use some melanoiden malt to (almost) mimic the effects of the decoction. Maybe 2-3%.

If using a single sacchrafication rest do something like 158-60.

This is a great recipe. I tried it tonight after letting it lager for about 6 weeks. My plan is to continue to let it lager until December. So far, I get great malt character, warming alcohol but not unpleasant, and some subtle fruitiness...maybe cherries? I don't have the most refined palate, so take that for what it's worth. Bottom line, I am glad I brewed this and will brew it again next year. It is going to be great this winter.

9 hours later and it's done! Really glad I no-chill but I'm looking forward to pouring one off around May 1st! This was my first decoction mash and it's a learning curve but I got pretty close with the temps. Pulled 2L off and will dilute to around 1.040 for a starter once I get it cool enough for a good SG but looking at water to 5L, boil briefly and pitch my smack pack. Going to invest in a stir plate now as well to get tons of those yeasties going.

Can someone briefly explain this decoction mash to me? Is it 2 hrs and 30 minutes of mashing? I thought I had an idea of what it was, but not sure after reading that. I do BIAB. I have a couple dopplebocks in the secondary now. But, this recipe looks better. Wish they didn't take so dang long. Any help is appreciated. I am almost a year in....so I'm a rookie. thx.

Enter it in YouTube and you will find several good videos. One by a German guy was really good and there was another but I can't link them on the phone app. It's a process but I enjoyed it.

So I ended up doing a single infusion mash at 158, and then pitched a huge starter of Wyeast 2308 into wort with an OG of 1.093. It has been sitting in my fermentation freezer at 50 degrees for 16 days. fermentation has slowed way down so I just pulled a sample and it is only down to 1.038.

I roused the yeast a bit, and bumped the temps up to 60 degrees.

I am really hoping that the warmer temps will be enough to get another 12-14 points off the gravity (though I doubt it will get me that much) and help to take care of the bit of diacetyl that I am getting in the sample.

Any other suggestions on how to make sure this ferments out completely? Even though it is still too sweet and a little buttery, the taste is fantastic.

pulled a sample last night and it's at 1.026. The rapid ferment sample/test got down to 1.022 so this is in the ball park. Great smell, color and flavor developing right now! Have it upstairs to come to temp a bit then going to keg it up and stick it back in the fridge for a few months. Started at 1.094 so this is a pretty good drop, methinks!

I see you repitched from Slurry, I want to start doing the same. I was wondering if you could explain your process?

I see you repitched from Slurry, I want to start doing the same. I was wondering if you could explain your process?

Pretty much just rack the beer into a secondary then take some (but not all) of the slurry/trub, toss it into the wort you want to ferment, aerate and away you go. The pitching rate calculators (mrmalty.com; yeastcalc.com) can help you figure out exactly how much; it varies by OG, how clean the slurry is, how old it is, etc.

There is a lot of good info out there on repitching. I'm no expert but lots of folks on this board are!

Osagedr, I had a question on the recipe formulation itself. I see that you use a small percentage of Pils as a secondary base malt to the Munich. Is this just for the added diastatic power? I am planning on brewing a Doppel this weekend, very similar to the grain bill you have here, but I was planning on using Vienna as the secondary base malt. Any opinions on using that versus Pils?

Osagedr, I had a question on the recipe formulation itself. I see that you use a small percentage of Pils as a secondary base malt to the Munich. Is this just for the added diastatic power? I am planning on brewing a Doppel this weekend, very similar to the grain bill you have here, but I was planning on using Vienna as the secondary base malt. Any opinions on using that versus Pils?

No reason not to try the Vienna. Great idea!

I had a bottle of the real thing tonight, going to taste my attempt from over a year ago later on. Such a tasty beer. Toffee, molasses come through big, but just so smooth! I over carbed my own version, but it came out pretty nice. Going to have to brew up another batch soon. Let that sucker lager for a good long time.

I have to say, at first when I brewed this, I didnt love how it came out. After tasting side by side last night, I have to say that this is a great recipe to try, and I can detect some flaws in my brewing more than in the recipe. I will definitely do this again! (and maybe some of it ice distilled!)

is this the same recipe used by the fort garry evil goat? been wanting to brew a dopplebock for a while and am loving the Fort Garry evil goat. Based on your twitter it looks like you collaborated with them on it? If so that only adds to my resolve to brew up a double batch of this recipe!!

Back