Who invented pretzels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you like pretzels in your snack mix?

• Snack mix should be nothing but different kinds of pretzels!

• Snack mix shouldn't be without pretzels.

• If they were gone, I wouldn't miss the little buggers.

• Leave the #$%ing pretzels out and give me more of the good stuff!

• Ralph Nader is as exciting as a stale, salt-less pretzel.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Now, don't get me wrong, I like a nice, chewy soft pretzel, and sometimes a few of those big, crunchy sourdough deals are pretty tasty, but:

If you're eating Chex mix, trail mix, or even that weird Oriental snack mix with the sweet sesame things and occasional weird hot things, who the FQ@# wants a mouthful of dry pretzels whose salt has all fallen off?

Most sources say pretzels originated in medieval monasteries. The salt was intended to be a cheap substitute for a rosary. Eating the pretzel after you "prayed" the salt off was built-in penitence.

david_42 said:
Most sources say pretzels originated in medieval monasteries. The salt was intended to be a cheap substitute for a rosary. Eating the pretzel after you "prayed" the salt off was built-in penitence.

That is awesome you know that.

Pretzles are not "made", they were "discovered". They are the baked or fried exoskeleton of the rare Preztlecocus termite found in nests beneath the ground in Germany. Once an expensive delicacy because of the labor involved in digging them up, now they are grown, mostly by Tyson foods, both to lower cost and the ability to grow a lot of them. The salt is what they dry them with, and since it never all gets brushed away. it is eaten with salt still on it. Man, don't you people ever watch "Discovery Channel?
:drunk::ban::ban:

Radarbrew said:
Pretzles are not "made", they were "discovered". They are the baked or fried exoskeleton of the rare Preztlecocus termite found in nests beneath the ground in Germany. Once an expensive delicacy because of the labor involved in digging them up, now they are grown, mostly by Tyson foods, both to lower cost and the ability to grow a lot of them. The salt is what they dry them with, and since it never all gets brushed away. it is eaten with salt still on it. Man, don't you people ever watch "Discovery Channel?
:drunk::ban::ban:

Holy fright dude. Have another homebrew!

Great story! :mug:

Guess I should've just asked the still stupid question, "does anyone else think pretzels are a useless, flavorless filler in otherwise tasty snack mix?"

I was drunk...

I love pretzels. When I was a kid I used to wake up and eat pretzels before the parents woke while watching cartoons. But, they don't belong mixed in with your chex mix etc.

Rhoobarb said:
I hate chex mix. Just give me a damn bag of pretzels!

That's it! I don't like chex mix either. I usually pick around the chex looking for my pretzel cereal.

Yeah, dipped in queso cheese dip, a little spicy -- they are awesome in certain dips!

I'll take some Gardetto's mix (with pretzels) over chex mix :rolleyes: anyday. Mmm... pretzels, bread stix and rye chips.
:mug:

I hate pretzels in my snack mix. Especially the brands that feel they need to put 2 different shapes of pretzels in the bag. WTF is up with that? At any rate the dog gets every single pretzel.

Now pretzels alone, they rock. The snyders sourdough or even soft pretzels are kick ass.

[Quote from Bernie Brewer]

Al Gore invented them, right before he invented the internet.

I thought Al Gore invented global warming?!

The only pretzels I like are the ones you get from crackheads selling them while you wait in traffic to get through the Lincoln tunnel. The big, soft, NY pretzels with globs of kosher salt sticking to them and mustard, those are the sh*t!

Back