Saison Boulevard Smokestack Series Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshaw50

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP 670
Yeast Starter
NO
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
NO
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
15, 74F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14, 74F
Tasting Notes
Similiar to Boulevard Tank 7, Floral Notes, Low to Moderate Hop, Spicy Notes
Boulevard Smokestack Series Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Clone
Type: Saison/Farmhouse Ale

Description taken from Boulevard Website:

SRM: 6 or EBC:12
IBUs: 38
OG: 1.071
FG: 1.010
ABV: 8%

70% Efficiency

0.66 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Adjunct 4.04 %
10.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) Bel (3.0 SRM) Grain 64.34 %
4.50 lb Wheat Malt, Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 27.57 %
0.66 lb Corn, Flaked (1.3 SRM) Grain 4.04 %
0.66 oz Falconer's Flight (Magnum alt) [10.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.6 IBU
0.66 oz Falconer's Flight (Simcoe alt) [10.50 %] (20 min) Hops 11.3 IBU
0.50 oz Centennial (Amarillo alt) [8.70 %] (15 min) Hops 5.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo [8.70 %] (Dry Hop 14 days) Hops - 0 IBU
1 Pkgs American Farmhouse Blend (Platinum Series) (White Lab #670) Yeast-Ale

Est Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.077 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Measured Final Gravity: 1.022 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.17 %
Actual Alcohol by Vol: 7.20 %
Bitterness: 35.7 IBU
Calories: 355 cal/pint
Est Color: 6.1 SRM

A few comments:

Boulevard's Website states they use Simcoe, Magnum, and Amarillo.
I used other citrus/floral hops because that's what I had in my refrigerator.
It has also been suggested to increase the % of corn and reduce the percentage of Wheat in the grain bill

Alternate Option for Yeast - French Saison

Hops suggestions (taken from Head Brewmaster at Boulevard) -

Bitter - Magnum
Flavor - Touch of Simcoe
Finish - Amarillo
Dry Hop - 1 ounce Amarillo

I had this brew for the first time today, and must say I was very happy with it. Very much worth giving it a try. Essentially the only Farmhouse ale/saison type beer I can find in stores around here.

Looks tasty. Amarillo is my favorite American hop for a saison, and I know Boulevard uses a fair amount of them. Have you tried the Saison Brett? I've cloned that one with good success.

Nice, I have literally everything I need to make this... wasn't totally sure what I wanted to do with my WLP 670 :)

Looks tasty. Amarillo is my favorite American hop for a saison, and I know Boulevard uses a fair amount of them. Have you tried the Saison Brett? I've cloned that one with good success.

I have not tried the Saison Brett but I've heard much about it.
Do you mind sending me the recipe via PM or posting it here?
I'm planning a brew day for this weekend and may give this one a try.

I had planned for a Cream ale but maybe i'll just do both!

Thanks,

Nice, I have literally everything I need to make this... wasn't totally sure what I wanted to do with my WLP 670 :)

I was very pleased with the WLP 670 and I may even pick up another or harvest the yeast from the Tank 7 batch.

I got great fermentation out of it during the first 72 hours for a higher ABV beer.

I went and checked on it last night and 15 days later it's still bubbling every now and then. My last Gravity Reading was 1.020, raising the ABV to about 7.5%.

I have not tried the Saison Brett but I've heard much about it.
Do you mind sending me the recipe via PM or posting it here?
I'm planning a brew day for this weekend and may give this one a try.

I had planned for a Cream ale but maybe i'll just do both!

Thanks,

Well, I just used a standard saison recipe, and pitched dregs from a Saison Brett in primary along with Wyeast 3724. If you can't get the actual Saison Brett, I bet you could get a good result with the recipe you have above, pitching 3724 to start and pitching a Wyeast Brett C. a couple days later.

Wow!!! I just took a sample after 3 weeks in the primary. The 3rd week was dry hopped with 1 ounce Amarillo Loose Leaf. It's very nice and flavorful. The American Farmhouse Yeast has done a fantastic job. OG was 1.077, FG reading was 1.013 with temperature adjustment for 8.37% ABV. I'm gonna let it dry hop one more week before bottling. For those considering trying this recipe, I definitely recommend it. I've got a Tank House 7 sitting next to it and sampling both. I must say it's remarkably similiar. I didn't expect much since I made the recipe up myself from scratch but so far so good. I've still got a bit of cloudiness in mine when comparing the srm but I also just transferred so i'm sure it would settle out if a left it sit for a day or two.

My first clone attempt was Bloulevard American Wheat. This one I was off a bit because I think the WLP320 American Hefeweisen wasn't the correct yeast choice. I think I should have used the chico strain to get the pale golden, less wit flavor. This one turned out too much like a belgian wit. I will be trying to brew this a 2nd time since the first one is all gone. I will use the US-05 or WLP001 to see how it does.

I have a photo comparing the two but don't know how to attach it.

Just picked up a bottle of tank 7, planning on trying it tomorrow. If I like it I'll be cloning it as well.

Well, I really like this beer and I'm going to try to clone it using the dreggs from a bottle as a starter. I'm still planning on getting the wlp670 and maybe use that as well in a future batch.

Been scouring sites for a good Tank 7 clone, and this one sounds pretty promising. Any advice on converting to a mini-mash? Not set up for AG, yet.

I was at Boulevard recently for an event and I thought I would take a minute to inquire about one of our favorite beers, Tank 7. Here is what I got from Steven Pauwels:
GRAIN BILL
70% Pale Malt
20% corn
10% Wheat malt

MASH SCHEDULE
45@ 62 C°
15@ 68
15@ 73
Mashout @ 76

HOPS
37 ibu
magnum
(I went with 0.94 oz Magnum [16.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 38.7 IBUs, they were a year old)

FERMENTATION
temp: 70

DRY HOP w/
Example given: 15 gallon = 1/4lb amarillo

YEAST
Belgian Yeast (recommended abbey & trappist)

I'm sure I could have done better with notes before I started drinking but here's what I got from Steven Pauwels and he said that he was willing to share a recipe whenever it was requested.

I was informed that the pale malt is US variety by one of the other brewers at a later date.

I was at Boulevard recently for an event and I thought I would take a minute to inquire about one of our favorite beers, Tank 7. Here is what I got from Steven Pauwels:
GRAIN BILL
70% Pale Malt
20% corn
10% Wheat malt

MASH SCHEDULE
45@ 62 C°
15@ 68
15@ 73
Mashout @ 76

HOPS
37 ibu
magnum
(I went with 0.94 oz Magnum [16.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min 38.7 IBUs, they were a year old)

FERMENTATION
temp: 70

DRY HOP w/
Example given: 15 gallon = 1/4lb amarillo

YEAST
Belgian Yeast (recommended abbey & trappist)

I'm sure I could have done better with notes before I started drinking but here's what I got from Steven Pauwels and he said that he was willing to share a recipe whenever it was requested.

I was informed that the pale malt is US variety by one of the other brewers at a later date.

thanks for posting! That's damn helpful.

I went with the Wyeast AbbeyII b/c that's what the LHS had on hand. A bit high in the banana esters and could have been drier. My grain bill wasn't perfect either though but sometimes you just have to use what you can get. I really think their proprietary yeast is a blend of a trappist and abbey from the way he was deciding on the yeast he wanted to recommend. It was close but not dead on. I'll definately attempt again at a later date.

side note, I recommend drinking this with a nice triple cream brie. I like Chimay or Seal Bay personally (and the Saison Brett with one of these cheeses is even better!) It's an amazing melting horse blanket in my mouth!

I recently brewed this recipe, and it's great! The only thing I want to change is the color.

Yesterday SWM...er...WIFE, brought me home a bottle of Tank 7. Looking at this recent glass of Tank 7, it has an orange color to it. But my two batches are coming out more yellow. I'm thinking there must be some additional darker malt used by Boulevard to get that orange color.

Not sure what grain I would add or how much to get to that color...

Bought the ingredients for this clone. I did buy the Belgian/Saison yeast from White Labs. Has anybody had luck harvesting yeast from the bottle (750ML or 12oz)? I am going with a 10 gallon batch and would like to use both yeast just for comparison.

As I recall, the bottling yeast strain is different from the fermentation yeast strain (entire boulevard line-up)

As I recall, the bottling yeast strain is different from the fermentation yeast strain (entire boulevard line-up)

That is what I understand as well. I have not had any luck identifying what yeast or yeast blend is used for Tank 7. But, I may ask around at the LHBS here in KC. Also, I will check with the local homebrew club and see if anyone there knows.

I recently brewed this recipe, and it's great! The only thing I want to change is the color.

Yesterday SWM...er...WIFE, brought me home a bottle of Tank 7. Looking at this recent glass of Tank 7, it has an orange color to it. But my two batches are coming out more yellow. I'm thinking there must be some additional darker malt used by Boulevard to get that orange color.

Not sure what grain I would add or how much to get to that color...

Mine looks nice and orange in the BB. I have it crashing right now. It will be in the keg on Monday (hopefully)! I used WY3724 yeast and never will again. It stalled like predicted and I had to add a little US05 starter to get it going again. I stopped it at 1.015.

I'm still at a loss for how you can get that orange color with just two-row, wheat and corn. There has to be some sort of darker malt involved. But, I could be wrong. Just can't seem to get that color in my two attempts following the recipe.

I have had no luck finding the exact yeast used by Boulevard. But, I'm definitely going to switch from Wyeast 3711 to Wyeast 1762 on my next batch to see how that goes.

Question. Was going to brew this up over the weekend, so I plugged the numbers into TastyBrew and way overshot the target you posted...

OG - 1083
SRM - 8
IBU - 47

I used Magnum, Simcoe, Amarillo. I know I could back these down a bit, but am interested in your thoughts.

Also, after dry hopping, did you rack and bulk condition, bottle condition, keg condition, and for how long?

Thanks again.

KKantyka said:
If I were to scale this down to 3 gallon would I still use the same amount of hops or scale those down as well?

KKantyka, you will want to scale hops down to the smaller batch size. Use a brewing software program to help you scale down amount of hops to achieve the specified IBUs. If you don't have software, it would be a good idea to get a program. There are free ones and paid ones. Homebrewtalk has a section of the forums for software. It helps in evaluating which would suit your brewery best.

Cheers

Question. Was going to brew this up over the weekend, so I plugged the numbers into TastyBrew and way overshot the target you posted...

OG - 1083
SRM - 8
IBU - 47

I used Magnum, Simcoe, Amarillo. I know I could back these down a bit, but am interested in your thoughts.

Calculate your IBU's based on the Alpha Acids of the specific batch of hops you have. Search for CALCULATING HOPS and I'm sure you will find your answers there.

I'm not familiar with TastyBrew, but I can vouch for BeerSmith. I also calculated using Rager Formula (their should be options to customize formula in your software)

When I brewed my tank 7 I used maybe 3 oz of carafa II at the end of my mash to darken it up a bit. 10 gallon batch. Came out identical color.

I used wlp510 and saison II. Started both at 67 and ramped it up to 93.

When I brewed my tank 7 I used maybe 3 oz of carafa II at the end of my mash to darken it up a bit. 10 gallon batch. Came out identical color.

I used wlp510 and saison II. Started both at 67 and ramped it up to 93.

Thanks for this tip, Matt! I will try some Carafa II in my next batch.

Anyone happen to have an extract version of this recipe? Tank 7 has become my favorite beer and I'd love to have a homebrew clone in the keg rotation.

Anyone happen to have an extract version of this recipe? Tank 7 has become my favorite beer and I'd love to have a homebrew clone in the keg rotation.

I was thinking the same thing, anyone with an extract version? One of my favorites and I would love a good recipe.

I made a similar Clone of my own. Turned out great! If anybody wants to trade sample for sample I am down. I could use some critiques from other brewers. I entered it in to the Bluebonnet Brew off 2012. Cant wait til March 24th!!!

I was thinking the same thing, anyone with an extract version? One of my favorites and I would love a good recipe.

this is how i ended up on this thread as well - looking for a mini-mash boulevard tank 7 clone recipe. i get most all of my recipes from ahs and they do not have anything for it yet. my google searches have turned up a partial-mash work-in-progress recipe being written but doesn't appear to have been brewed yet. hopefully someone here can help us new/intermediate brewers who haven't made the leap to all grain yet! thanks!

this is how i ended up on this thread as well - looking for a mini-mash boulevard tank 7 clone recipe. i get most all of my recipes from ahs and they do not have anything for it yet. my google searches have turned up a partial-mash work-in-progress recipe being written but doesn't appear to have been brewed yet. hopefully someone here can help us new/intermediate brewers who haven't made the leap to all grain yet! thanks!

Hi, you can convert any all grain recipe using brewing software, and often your LHBS can convert it for you, too. There is a forum in HBT on software packages.

However, I'd suggest you do it manually the first few times to understand what is going on in the grain bill. Here is a link to an article that I found SUPER helpful when I was extract brewing. I needed to convert an all grain to extract or partial mash.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

Cheers

Hi, you can convert any all grain recipe using brewing software, and often your LHBS can convert it for you, too. There is a forum in HBT on software packages.

However, I'd suggest you do it manually the first few times to understand what is going on in the grain bill. Here is a link to an article that I found SUPER helpful when I was extract brewing. I needed to convert an all grain to extract or partial mash.

http://home.roadrunner.com/~brewbeer/extract/pres.pdf

Cheers

thank you VERY much for the info - it is much appreciated and will certainly give me the ability to start branching out from pre-packaged mini-mash recipes. i just kegged and began carbing an ahs belgian trippel yesterday and my ipa ran out saturday on tap #2 so i need to cook something else up soon!

I brewed something very similar to this trying to clone Tank 7 three weeks ago using the published ingredients on their website. Can't wait to try it. I used WLP670, and it is still bubbling 6-7 times a minute after 3 weeks, through a blow-off tube. I pitched a large starter, those Brett must be hungry. I'm interested to see how low this yeast will bring the FG. I plan to rack this in another week, and then bulk age until early summer.

Coff said:
What was your recipe Pinto?

64% Pale (I used Maris Otter), 28% Wheat, 4% Flaked Maize, 4% Flaked Wheat. Bittered with 19 IBU's of Magnum @ 60 min, 12 IBU's of Simcoe @ 20 min, and 6 IBU's of Amarillo @ 5 min. Pitched a starter of WLP670. Going to dry hop with 2 oz of Amarillo for 7 days. OG was 1.074.

While I was brewing, I decided to double to Simcoe addition I stated above, so mine is going to be a bit hoppier, but the recipe above gives you close to Boulevard's published IBU number.

Back