Bulk bottle caps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JebCkr

Reaction score
Ok, so I'm about to be capping quite a few batches at once and currently have no caps. So, I've come up with the idea of buying a large amought and not worrying about buying caps...ever. I might try ebaying a few hundred too, if I end up with more than I'd ever use.

Anyways, I found this. http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/crown-caps-gold-70-gross/4,7883.html?&message=addedtocart Seems a little overkill, but I think I can make it work. So, does anyone know of a better place to get these in bulk? Thanks and cheers. :mug:

Seems a lot of overkill...but if you were to go in with a few other guys, its seems like a minimal investment and you wouldn't be buying caps again anytime soon!

Oh yes, I should have mentioned I'm splitting this 3 ways with a roommate and another buddy who brews.

It doesn't seem like extreme overkill to me, especially split 3 ways.

3,333 caps /50 per batch (average per 5 gallon batch) = 66.67 batches
so somewhere between 65-68 batches, that's anywhere from a year to a 3 year supply depending on how much you brew.
Might as well buy in extreme bulk to save some money and not worry about caps for awhile, I can't see how they'd go bad or them taking up much space in the closet.

I am currently using caps (and capper) that my dad bought at a farm auction at least 30 years ago, and they work just fine. Probably should have saved them as antiques, but the beer made other demands.

Primary: BB German Altbier
Carbing: BB English Brown Ale
Aging: Sweet Mead(5mos), Cider
Gone: BB Scottish Ale(Sob!!)

I've done things like that in the past. Wow, what a good deal, I'll never have to buy any more ever. Then a year down the road situation changes and I never need the 3000 widgets I got for such a good deal and now I have to store them and the cost divided by what I had used doesn't seem like such a good deal any more.

What! Are you never going to keg? Never want to switch to the sexy swing top bottles? Want to bet?

I just bought these from Austin Homebrew. 640 caps is a lot for me to use as about 3/4 of what I brew goes into bombers instead of 12 oz. bottles.

JebCkr said:
Hmm, I'm gonna keep an eye on this. The shipping depends on where you live and is only $31 for me. I could really get a steal.

Not if I'm keeping an eye on it too. :)

The current high bid is me.

I'd be willing to bet that the price significantly increases a few minutes at the end of the auction, so these will definitely sell for more than $76 shipped.

Back