American Wheat Beer Orange American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brewed this yesterday. used 1 lb flaked wheat and 1 lb munich instead, as I don't have a scale zested 4 large oranges and used 1.25 tsp whole corander (which I crushed), hit gravities appropriately but only ended up with ~4 gal due to new system losses. Using this yeast cake with safbrew BE-256 for a belgian dubbel starter of sorts for next brew. Checked it over my noon hour today, and it smells AWESOME. Can't wait to try to it! Props on the recipe!

What is the flaked wheat? Is it the wheat go through the malts mill to crush it ?or I must buy it
just like this picture?

??????20170330150836.jpg

Flaked wheat is what you have a picture of, literally looks like flakes.

What is the flaked wheat? Is it the wheat go through the malts mill to crush it ?or I must buy it
just like this picture?

Flaked wheat is different than just wheat malt that has been crushed. Buy the stuff in the picture, it should look like rolled oats.

Brewed this, 5 gallons was orange, 5 was a lemon orange mix. Got great reviews and didn't last long at all. Great recipe.

I tried this brew today in a biab.

Had to use Hersbrucker do to availability and used 4 oz of orange peel for a more orange flavor and aroma.

Have 5 gallons in the primary right now. Cant wait for this to be ready.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, I'm definitely going to give this one a go but I think I might use Mandarina Bavaria hops for its high orange/tangerine profile and I will report back with the experiment as I do!
@socalchef How did yours turn out? I'm trying to figure out the amount of zest to add

I'm thinking of brewing this for a spring crawfish boil and want to do a test batch this weekend. Two questions though.
1. I've been doing BIAB for a few years now but haven't got into water adjustment yet, prolly gonna start soon just have no clue where to start. Has everyone been following this adjustment regardless of their water? Is your ph adjustment just for your Ohio water or should i still follow your amount for my Colorado water? Or just skip it as I haven't been doing any adjustments for my other beers?
2. Has everyone been using the yeast nutrient? I've never used/needed it in my beers, but have some from some cider I did. Is it necessary? I'll prolly use white labs wlp001 California yeast as I prefer liquid, and have a new unused stir plate, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Last edited:
A good place to start with water treatment is Bru 'n Water. Its a spreadsheet that will greatly help out with getting your desired water profile. It can be a little daunting at first but its simple enough once you mess with it. Lots of info out there plus you can always ask here. The 5.2 stabilizer isn't something I'd really recommend if you don't know what pH you are starting with. Its a buffer that helps adjust your water pH but again depending on your water it can do more harm in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with adding some yeast nutrient especially if you aren't going to do a starter. Even if you are its still not bad thing. I've stopped doing it personally since doing the starter alone has worked out well. (Quick activity after pitch, good attenuation)

I brewed this for the first time about a month ago. I really liked it but I had a slight bitter taste at the back end. It has faded a little since tapping. Even still I liked it and my friends liked it. Not sure if it was something I messed up or equipment or water. But want to get rid of it. Just put it into the software and it gave me almost 30 IBUs. Brewtarget has a high acid % for Hallertau hops but even adjusting the percentage it still showed it was bitter. Brewed it again today to have at my friends crawfish boil next month. I did some of my first water adjustments to hopefully help. But also I reduced the 30min hop addition to .65oz, according to Brewtarget that should get me down to 24 IBUs. Considering how good the first batch was I'm really excited to see how this one, which should only get better, will be.

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if you all had actually grated to zest your orange or if you were just slicing the big chunks of peels off and using those.

Also I wonder how this would work adding honey malt to try and get some of that honey flavor.

I know this is an old thread but I'm wondering if you all had actually grated to zest your orange or if you were just slicing the big chunks of peels off and using those.

Also I wonder how this would work adding honey malt to try and get some of that honey flavor.

I grated my orange zest. I added it at flameout. Honey malt sounds good. Go for it.

I went 4 oz and it was a bit too much for my taste.

Good to know, maybe 3 is the sweet spot. I'll try that. I was also going to get some orange extract from the local spice shop and see what kind of impact that might have.

As for honey malt, thinking .5 - 1 LB of Gambrinous Honey Malt to give it that nice little nutty sweetness.

I actually use Mexican Sweet Navel Oranges in mine. There is very little pith on them. I cut them into 8ths drop them into a large hop sack and give them a crush with a potato masher. Dump the juice and oranges into the last 5 minutes of the boil. If you want a little honey flavor, try adding 1/2 cup of honey during cooling when your wort hits about 180*F.

Just curious, @CA_Mouse, do you have a standard recipe for your Orange wheat beer? I like the idea of adding a touch of honey during cool down. That should give a nice flavor without being too intense.

2 lbs Fruit - Orange (0.0 SRM)
0.5 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Ale Malt, Northwestern (Great Western) (3.0 SRM)
4 lbs 8.0 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM)
0.50 oz Amarillo v3 [8.70 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 12.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo v3 [8.70 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 6.4 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo v3 [8.70 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 2.6 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Hefeweizen Ale (White Labs #WLP320) [35.49 ml] I generally make a 1 liter starter and let it rip.

This generally finishes in about 4 days, then I transfer to a keg to carbonate.

Awesome, thank you @CA_Mouse! That's excellent. It will be going next into my brewing line up. This is such a great place for knowledge and ideas.

Not a problem. This is actually my base Wheat Beer. I omit the oranges add honey at 180*F during cooling for a Honey Wheat or I ferment and then secondary over Mango and dry pepper with habaneros (my favorite and the most popular for my family).

Back