Making a pail ale. have only northern brewer and kent golding left...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

britishbloke

Reaction score
I have two onces of each.

Im wondering what hop combination with these two would make an interesting pail ale.

I believe kent goldings are more of an aroma hop so maybe northern at the beginning and kent at the end for aroma....?? :drunk:

For 5g, I'd use 2 oz NB for 60 min, 1 oz EKG for 30 min, and 1 oz EGK for 5 min.
I usually use NB for bittering, Fuggles for flavour, and EKG for aroma

-a.

Edit. I changed the 39 minutes to 30

If the NB is around 9% I'd go at about 0.75 oz for 60 min and then do 1 oz of Goldings at 15 min and 1 oz at 5 min.

Assuming a target ABV of about 6% and 9% AA, I'd do 0.75 NB @ 60, then 0.25 oz. NB + 1 oz. EKG at 20 and the other oz. of EKG at 5. NB isn't considered a flavor hop, but some batches I've had were interesting.

I should have said that I like all aspects of hops.

For my pale ales, I use 3 oz NB, 1.5 oz Fuggles, and 1.5 oz EKG, and dry hop with another oz EKG. It takes time to mellow (I leave it for 6 - 8 weeks), but nobody has complained, and they keep coming back for more.

-a.

Back