Did I just make a batch of bottle bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reddy

Reaction score
So I brewed a Christmas Ale on Oct. 15th using:

10lbs 2-row (may have substituted some 6-row in there, not sure now)
1lbs cara-red
1lbs Special B
.5lbs honey malt
.5lbs black roasted barley
about 10oz of molasses

I pitched the Safebrew t-58 high gravity yeast and it took off pretty well.

I racked to a secondary after two weeks and left it to sit in my spare bedroom for about a month. This week (12/3), I check the the SG and two days in row came up with 1.020. I thought it was a little high, but bottled anyway (planning to give these away for Christmas presents, so it needs to carb). The spare bedroom has the vent closed so it stays in the high 50's in there... probably should have thought of that before now....

Now I'm worrying that once these get warm and carb, they're going to blow up. On the other hand, molasses and some of the darker grains wouldn't ferment so well and that is a high gravity yeast.... :confused:

What do you think, is this a reasonable FG or am I screwed?

What was your SG? if it was high enough 1.020 could easily be about 70-75% attenuation. Got this from Fermentis' website about T-58:

"A speciality yeast selected for its estery somewhat peppery and spicy flavour development. Sedimentation: medium. Final gravity: high. Also recommended for bottle-conditioning of beers. Excellent performance in beers with alcohol contents of up to 8.5% v/v but can ferment up to 11.5% v/v."

I've bottled at 1.020....it's not really the number that matters as much as fermentation being complete, and it sounded like it is.

The bigger issue is your carbing temp...If you want any chance of your beer being carbed and conditioned, then leaving them in the 50's isn't going to cut it.

3 weeks at 70 degrees is the minimum for most beers. The lower the temp the slower it's going to take. And if you are in the 50's you are pretty close to the yeast's dormant temp, so they are going to be moving very slow.

SO if you want them done in time, get them into a 70+ degree space til Christmas.

Looks like an expected SG of 1.075 and a target FG of 1.019. I think you're probably fine, especially if you mashed a little high.

Ok, good deal guys. I just had this fear in my mind that the yeast wasn't really done or have gone dormant in the cold bedroom and would continue to ferment once they got warm in the carbing process. Thanks!

It's been almost 2 months since I brewed it so I would think it would be done by now.

Ok, good deal guys. I just had this fear in my mind that the yeast wasn't really done or have gone dormant in the cold bedroom and would continue to ferment once they got warm in the carbing process. Thanks!

It's been almost 2 months since I brewed it so I would think it would be done by now.

Well bottle carbing is a mini fermentation so it NEEDS the yeast not to be dormant. If you want it carbed by Christmas get it warm.

Back